Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Brew eve prep...

Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2041 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 2919

Default Brew eve prep...

I've found preparing the night before for the next brew session very relaxing. Instead of using my electric drill to grind the grain, I have returned it to the shelf it lives on in my garage awaitng my next home improvement .

This might be a long post.. sorry about that.

The night before brew day I find enjoyment in weighing out the grains, crushing them and I also weigh out the hops. For the last few brews I've made I hand grind the grain.

The ground grains go into a HomeDepot orange bucket covered with Al. Hops measured and weighed to into seal-able plastic bags. Water additions (this is my first time) also went into one of those plastic bags. Lastly, put a whirfloc tablet and a Servomyces yeast nutrient into plastic bag. I marked it at 15, and also noted IC. All the hop bags have a number on them which I use to know the timing of each of them.

Tonight I was a little upset at myself because when I ordered grain, I accidentally ordered crushed grain, for the base grain. 10lbs of crushed Marris Otter. Well I weighed all the grains out, including the pre crushed Otter.. Broke out the Barley Crusher and started grinding. It was a failure at first.

I've double ground grain before. Didn't think it would eff any thing up doing it again. Well about 2 pounds into the hand grind.. the crusher stopped working. I thought maybe the flour of the pre crushed grain just didn't provide enough "traction" to pull the rest in. I shook the crap out of the mill, trying to get the flour part to the bottom and into the bucket I was using.

Didn't work. I finally got my drill and hooked it up to the Barley Crusher.. it worked. Got around 12 lbs of grain crushed. Bummed me out a little. I was so looking forward to grinding the grain by hand.

It's all good though. Grain, hops, water adjustments are all weighed out.
Tomorrow morning all I need to do is make some beer!.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Robin0782
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm with you on this. I always prep everything possible the night before. I am doing my first all grain for my next batch, and I have a Barley Crusher on the way. I had planned on crushing my grains by hand the night before as you do. It definitely makes a smoother, more relaxing brewday. I like to get started as early as possible, so it just makes sense.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 112

What time do you start brewing in the morning, Dan?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I do the same thing. Haul most of my equipment out of the basement up to the garage. Filter the water I need to mash in. Grind the grain. Then in the morning I can start heating the strike water and eat breakfast while it heats up. This morning I was mashing by 8 AM.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1979 View Post
I do the same thing. Haul most of my equipment out of the basement up to the garage. Filter the water I need to mash in. Grind the grain. Then in the morning I can start heating the strike water and eat breakfast while it heats up. This morning I was mashing by 8 AM.
+1

Just so much easier to do ahead of a brew day, doesn't take alot of time the night before.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #6
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
What time do you start brewing in the morning, Dan?
Sometimes early other times late. I just enjoy the prep time the night before. For me, very relaxing.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6975 Times on 5900 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

I Haven't brewed in two months.

I have made 18 gallons of wine and 10 gallons of mead though.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3492 Times on 2385 Posts
Likes Given: 2279

Ok, grinding grain by hand and enjoying it is just sick.

Other than that, I also like to get stuff done the day before. It's amazing how fast and easy it is to do this stuff, and then how much smoother the brewday goes.

I also weigh my grains and crush them and put them in a bucket with a label indicating what the mix is and when I crushed it (in case my brewday gets canceled)

I like to measure out the water and add minerals and acid beforehand too.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2751

I also do all of my prep the night before. My brew day would be too long if I didn't. I have to keep all of my stuff stored, so set-up and tear-down always takes a little time. I'm hoping to brew this weekend for the first time in over a month.

I hope your brew day went well Dan!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
Calichusetts
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 983

Its really made the brewday more enjoyable when I prep the night before...almost the same exact system too:

All grains are measured and bagged
Hops/spices are weighed and in sealed containers with minute addition times
Equipment is cleaned and sanitized

All I have to do during brewing (besides the actual brewing) is zest fruit and grab ice. I am like 200 yards from a store so I can flameout, whirlpool, get ice and have it chilling in 20 minutes.