BIAB thermometer question - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB thermometer question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
weagle
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Auburn, AL
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I just got a Blichmann 10 gallon pot and hope to start doing all grain BIAB batches soon. I noticed that the thermometer sticks out in the pot. Will this be a problem puncturing the bag or should it be no problem?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
tknice
 
tknice's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Maryland
Posts: 378
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Should be fine. I have a 15 gal and dont worry about the brewmometer for all but the largest batches. I did almost a 40lb bag last weekend and used the mash paddle to keep it away from it while being pulled out.

I don't know what the equivalent sized batch is for your pot but I think it will be fine. It definitely won't puncture while mashing, just be careful pulling the bag.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Seven
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,538
Liked 171 Times on 82 Posts


I'm sure tknice is right about not having to remove the thermometer probe but I went ahead and removed mine anyways. I like to use a metal basket with my BIAB and the probe would definitely prevent the basket from fitting in the kettle. I haven't missed the built in thermometer one bit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
tknice
 
tknice's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Maryland
Posts: 378
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I'm sure tknice is right about not having to remove the thermometer probe but I went ahead and removed mine anyways. I like to use a metal basket with my BIAB and the probe would definitely prevent the basket from fitting in the kettle. I haven't missed the built in thermometer one bit.
hey seven, I almost mentioned that some people remove it. Until I moved to 10 gallon batches, the wort didn't even touch the thermometer so it was pretty much useless lol. Now that I do larger batches, it is nice to see the temp during the mash and while cooling.

How did you go about sealing up the hole in case I ever decide to remove mine?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
robcj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 99
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tknice
How did you go about sealing up the hole in case I ever decide to remove mine?
Blichmann sells a hole plug kit specifically for this purpose. You may be able to buy it from the dealer that sold you the kettle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,702
Liked 1465 Times on 1115 Posts


Polyester voile is pretty tuff stuff IME. Unless you are careless, I doubt one would puncture or rip a bag, heat is the real enemy, anything above 3-400 degrees and it's instant game over, not that wort will ever reach these temps, but watch out for an open flame or an electric element!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
ElDuderino
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Portland, Or
Posts: 172
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Has anyone tried making something to slide over the probe while doing brew in a bag that is more rounded on the end and less likely to get caught up in the bag?

I've thought of using 1/2 or 3/4 inch copper to make a 'sleeve'. Two end caps and a long enough piece of tube to cover the probe and offer support. A hole drilled in one end cap the same diameter as the probe. May be fill it with a copper scrubby to support the end of the probe inside the tube. A few holes could be drilled in the side of the tube to allow the wort to pass through. Nothing has to be soldered to allow for easy dis-assembly and cleaning...

Reason: Ascii art did not appear correctly...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
robcj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 99
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weagle
I just got a Blichmann 10 gallon pot and hope to start doing all grain BIAB batches soon. I noticed that the thermometer sticks out in the pot. Will this be a problem puncturing the bag or should it be no problem?
My friend and I BIAB 12 gallon batches in a 20 gallon Blichmann. It's a big, heavy bag coming out of the kettle and we've never had a problem with the thermometer probe getting in the way.

BIAB in a Blichmann is great - particularly if you have the false bottom which filters out a lot of trub.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
weagle
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Auburn, AL
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by robcj View Post
My friend and I BIAB 12 gallon batches in a 20 gallon Blichmann. It's a big, heavy bag coming out of the kettle and we've never had a problem with the thermometer probe getting in the way.

BIAB in a Blichmann is great - particularly if you have the false bottom which filters out a lot of trub.
Thanks for the help. Can I boil wort with the false bottom or would it just be for mashing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
robcj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
robcj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 99
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weagle

Thanks for the help. Can I boil wort with the false bottom or would it just be for mashing?
We put it in before we fill the kettle with water and we don't take it out until we've transferred to our fermenters. But it really only does anything at transfer - it just filters the break and hops.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BIAB question NevermoreBrew BIAB Brewing 23 01-11-2013 09:26 PM
BIAB Question Scooba All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 04-07-2012 03:23 PM
I'm sorry, but another BIAB question Wisluggo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 02-12-2012 01:09 AM
BIAB Question el_caro All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 95 12-05-2011 05:07 AM
Weldless Thermometer for BIAB Kettle 7mmSTW All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 11-11-2010 09:13 PM


Forum Jump