Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Concord grapes in a witbier?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:54 AM   #1
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Concord grapes in a witbier?

My house came with a vineyard of sorts. More concord grapes than i have a use for (anybody wanna buy some jelly?) and some as-yet-unidentified table grape (fruit varying in color from green to deep red). On chain link fence, of course.

I've tried ignoring the vines - they just produce more fruit. Last year i didn't so much as cast them an approving glance and they produced more fruit than i could pick.

I am aware that concord is not a wine grape. I'm also not a wine drinker.

Generally speaking I'm not a fan of fruity beers. I appreciate a good IIPA with a strong odor of grapefruit and love a good understated pumpkin beer but only got two bottles into a sixer of apricot hefe before i gave it away.

And yet i have these grapes. Grapes of so much color and a little bit of flavor. And more acid than most wine yeasts will deal with.

Am i insane for considering, late this fall, when the grapes begin to split on the vine, making a witbier with a pound or three of concord grapes in secondary, resulting in a very purple beer?

I was figuring I would throw them in the freezer for 24 hours, then put them in the microwave until they start to boil, then mash 'em good with a potato masher, mix in some vodka, wait a few hours, and then add to secondary before racking over them.

Edit: This would, of course, have to be named something like "Transcendental Wit" - in honor of Emerson, Thoreau, etc.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
TimTrone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

A friend of mine has made some wine from grapes. You can smash em up, add some sugar, and pitch some champagne yeast. Cheap booze

Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah, not interested in wine. Also, i am well enough off that if i just want to get hammered, that doesn't have a meaningful impact on my budget. The time spent making wine is worth more to me than the money.

I just thought it might be interesting beer

Old 05-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
TimTrone
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It might be ok in a wit. Then again, it could be awful. Maybe brew up a wit, and Age 1 gallon of it on some mashed concords. That way if it sucks you only wasted 1 gallon

Old 09-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #5
AndrewD
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Bump.

Our house has about 6 gigantic concord vines on our back porch arbor. We usually trim the majority of the fruit when it is green and compost it because it is a huge mess otherwise. But I would love to have a use for these table grapes beyond making green wine in the compost pile.