To yeast start, or not to yeast start.... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > To yeast start, or not to yeast start....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
drives_a_bike
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 245
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts



My buddy and I are going to brew side-by-side on Sunday. He's brewing a Dead Guy Ale clone and I'm brewing a Imperial RyePA. I know I should definitely have a starter since I'm shooting for 9% on this beer, but we only have 1 yeast starter flask. My question is, does that Dead Guy clone have to have one? or would it ferment up just fine without it?

Thanks! Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
atom
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
York, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,153
Liked 294 Times on 173 Posts


you can use lots of things for a starter..doesn't have to be a flask...just clean/sanitized... 2 liter growlers work great. could also use a plastic 2 liter bottle, milk jug, etc...

and yes, the dead guy clone should have one...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
solbes
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Ramsey & Akeley, Mn
Posts: 2,975
Liked 237 Times on 217 Posts


Its right on the edge. 1.065-ish OG right? I tend to think 1.05 and below could be done with or without a starter depending on what you are looking to get out of it.

1.060+ and I always make a starter. Just don't want to risk a long lag time and/or stuck fermentation from inadequate numbers of yeasties.

You don't have to make starters with a stir plate and erlenmeyer you know. I don't have either and pitch large volumes of yeast with a 1 gallon carboy. True that the intermittent shaking method produces less yeast per volume, but its still leaps and bounds better than pitching a single pack or vial. You can use a growler too if you have one laying around.
__________________
Primary #1: Umlaut my Kölsch VII #2: Empty
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Cab MerMarqeNac Wine
Kegged
: Mugged a Monk Paters
Bottles
: Dark Belgian Strong, Black Raspberry Rhubarb wine, RIS, Carmel Apple Cider, Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Barolo Wine, Berry Rhubarb Wine, Black Currant wine
On Deck: BGSA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
drives_a_bike
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 245
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


cool, thanks guys...If I just make a yeast starter in a growler or 2 liter bottle, wouldn't I need a breathable cork or something? I thought that is what is on that flask my buddy has.

We've made 6 batches of beer now and I've never done a starter. my buddy did on the first one, but I wasn't there when he did it. My last beer was the NB Black IPA (OG 1.078) and I didn't do a starter...I'm a little worried about that, but after I thought about it I haven't moved it to a secondary, just left it sitting on the yeast cake in the primary...I don't know if that will help anything, but I figured it was worth a shot considering all I've read on this forum about how many people don't use secondaries.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
ChaosStout
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Moorhead, MN
Posts: 253
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by drives_a_bike View Post
cool, thanks guys...If I just make a yeast starter in a growler or 2 liter bottle, wouldn't I need a breathable cork or something? I thought that is what is on that flask my buddy has.

We've made 6 batches of beer now and I've never done a starter. my buddy did on the first one, but I wasn't there when he did it. My last beer was the NB Black IPA (OG 1.078) and I didn't do a starter...I'm a little worried about that, but after I thought about it I haven't moved it to a secondary, just left it sitting on the yeast cake in the primary...I don't know if that will help anything, but I figured it was worth a shot considering all I've read on this forum about how many people don't use secondaries.
Just use a piece of sanitized foil. Spray it down good with star san. If you dont do starters you should use at least use 2 yeast packs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
drives_a_bike
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 245
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosStout View Post
Just use a piece of sanitized foil. Spray it down good with star san. If you dont do starters you should use at least use 2 yeast packs.
awesome! thanks for the help guys.

The fermentation on that Black IPA looked good, I guys we'll see how it turns out. dry hopping tonight.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
onipar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Tannersville, PA
Posts: 1,219
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


Sounds like you got all the answers you need, but just for the heck of it... I agree!

I'm actually planning on doing a starter today for a brew session tomorrow, and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm doing the starter in a growler (no stir plate or other fancy equipment).

I'm opting for a rubber plug + airlock on my starter, but only because I happen to have one that fits the growler. If I didn't, I'd go the foil route too. Also, I have to transport it to my brother's house, so I figured the airlock would be safer.

Good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,694
Liked 178 Times on 150 Posts


I always make a starter no matter the OG. Just a habit. Unless I use dry yeast of course.

Check out www.stirstarters.com. Just picked up a stir plate and 2L flask. Very quick shipping and great quality. Can't wait to use it
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
h22lude's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
lincoln, ri
Posts: 2,694
Liked 178 Times on 150 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by onipar
Sounds like you got all the answers you need, but just for the heck of it... I agree!

I'm actually planning on doing a starter today for a brew session tomorrow, and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm doing the starter in a growler (no stir plate or other fancy equipment).

I'm opting for a rubber plug + airlock on my starter, but only because I happen to have one that fits the growler. If I didn't, I'd go the foil route too. Also, I have to transport it to my brother's house, so I figured the airlock would be safer.

Good luck!
It is actually bad to use a rubber stopper and airlock. A starter needs all the oxygen it can get and if you put a rubber stopper in instead of foam or even better foil then the yeast won't get all the oxygen it needs.

Before I bought this stir plate I used growlers and plastic bottles and they worked great. The stir plate just allows for more oxygen to get into the starter and keep the yeast in suspension
__________________
Up Next: Blonde Ale, German Pils
Primary: Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout
Kegged: Galaxy Dry Hopped Fort Point clone, Blonde Ale
Bottled: S'mores Stout, Blonde Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
drives_a_bike
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Posts: 245
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


well, my plans just changed...instead of Sunday, we're going to brew tomorrow night (Can't wait to break in my new floor burner with outdoor brewing!). so we're going to get these starters rolling asap, just have to wait for my buddies lunch break. I hope that's enough time for a starter...from everything I've read it looks like it should be.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Didn't realize my yeast took 3 hours to prep, can I start.... wonderfulwino37 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 02-26-2012 05:50 PM
2 quick yeast start questions Brak23 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-22-2011 08:18 PM
Pitching more yeast at start JWS Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-28-2011 09:18 PM
Boiling water to start yeast? AZbrewer1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-09-2011 08:06 PM
Is it ever too early to start yeast culturing? alpo Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 20 01-22-2009 04:42 AM


Forum Jump