Question for grain mill hopper build - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Question for grain mill hopper build
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Question for grain mill hopper build

Just received my crank and stein 2s (4 inch rollers) I am going to be building my hopper when I get off work today. I got my general design. My question is, how big should the hole be that feeds the grain to the mill? My friends mill looks to be about 8 inch rollers but there is only a 2 inch opening. Is that fine? Or can I get more grain crushed with a bigger hole? Or can that jam up my mill rollers?

Here's a picture of his.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3383273709.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	60925

Name:	image-2021981737.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	60926

Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
magno

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

My hopper runs nearly the entire length of the rollers. Jamming is not an issue.

Primary: Barley Wine

Secondary: Red Ale, Pale Ale

Conditioning:

Drinking: Brown Ale, 75 min. IPA, Oatmeal Stout, Poor Richard's Ale, Chocolate Cherry Stout

Old 05-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
rico567
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah....if the width of the opening is 8 inches, why would the aperture admitting the grain to the rollers be less? If jamming is an issue, it needs to be addressed separately from this question. Probably with more torque.

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
DustyTheBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Mine runs almost the whole length as well with no issues. Here is a pic of my crude plywood hopper (although you can't see the inside).

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyTheBrewer
Mine runs almost the whole length as well with no issues. Here is a pic of my crude plywood hopper (although you can't see the inside).
I think I'm gonna make mine just like yours dusty. How tall is yours? And how much grain does it hold?
Ægir was a god who would host a party where all the gods would drink the beer he brewed for them. He made this in a giant kettle that Thor had brought. The cups in Ægir's hall were always full, magically refilling themselves when emptied.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
Chrisl77
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I took a piece of light gauge sheet metal and made a shield to go over the top of the rollers to direct the the grains to the center. I cut a slit in the center just a little shorter then the rollers and a cross slit at each end, then i bent the two tabs inwards towards the rollers a little. This keeps the grains from going around the rollers instead of through the middle of them.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Kmcogar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisl77
I took a piece of light gauge sheet metal and made a shield to go over the top of the rollers to direct the the grains to the center. I cut a slit in the center just a little shorter then the rollers and a cross slit at each end, then i bent the two tabs inwards towards the rollers a little. This keeps the grains from going around the rollers instead of through the middle of them.
Looks good

Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Kmcogar
Recipes 

This is what I ended up doing. It worked out pretty well. Definitely not as pretty as I hoped it to be but it gets the job done. It holds about 5lbs of grains. It's crushed the 5lbs in about a minute. SWEEEET!!!

Name:	image-49976101.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	61311

Name:	image-992726239.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	61312

Name:	image-16932948.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	61313