Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Weihenstephaner Vitus Recipes Thoughts

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Weihenstephaner Vitus Recipes Thoughts

I'm going to brew a clone of Weihenstephaner Vitus Weizenbock this weekend. I've done some research, but haven't found a recipe that has been executed and reported back with results. So, here's the recipe I am going to use:

Batch size: 5.5 gal
OG: 1.070
Color: 6 SRM
IBU: 17
7.5 lb White Wheat Malt
3 lb Belgian Pilsener
3 lb German Vienna
3 oz Melanoidin Malt

1.5 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh (3.4% AA) 60 min

Yeast: Weihenstephaner 3068 (with yeast starter for appropriate cell count)

Mash: 148F 75 min
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: Pitch at 62F and raise to 68F as fermentation progresses. Cold condition at 45F for 3-4 weeks after fermentation has completed. Bottle to 3 vols CO2.

I'm hoping that the FG gets to 1.009-10, as this is about where Vitus gets to. I'm sure they use decoction, but this is my first attempt at this clone so I'll just stick with single infusion. I chose to go with Vienna malt, as it gives a nice bready, light sweetness that I think I taste in Vitus. I'm doing the cold conditioning because that is what Weihenstephaner does. They then bottle with lager yeast, but this info I'm unsure about. I'll probably just add priming sugar after cold conditioning and hope that it carbs.

Any thoughts on my recipe? Thanks.

CsaintG Likes This 
Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
stikks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

This is a bit ironic for me.Yesterday I bought a single bottle of Vitus just to try,I thought
it was excellent.I am going to keep an eye on this thread to see where it goes.I wish
I could help you out here but cant.Maybe some of the other members will chime in.
I would like to give it a shot myself.

Cheers

CsaintG Likes This 
Old 05-10-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Vitus is my favorite weizenbock. I like the amount of banana you get with the sweetness up front and dry finish. And it's surprisingly light for a 7.7% ABV beer. I plan to brew this every 4-5 months until I get a recipe that I am happy with. I'll either update this thread or start another once I've got some results.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
Blumpkin01
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikks View Post
This is a bit ironic for me.Yesterday I bought a single bottle of Vitus just to try,I thought
it was excellent.I am going to keep an eye on this thread to see where it goes.I wish
I could help you out here but cant.Maybe some of the other members will chime in.
I would like to give it a shot myself.

Cheers
I love when people say ironic instead of coincidental. Vitus is great. I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Well, actually I'll wait. Thats fine
marc06 Likes This 
Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 AM   #5
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Nothing substantial to add about the recipe, but a local place has this on tap and its a dangerously great beer. Let us know the outcome and good luck.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #6
stikks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumpkin01 View Post
I love when people say ironic instead of coincidental. Vitus is great. I can't wait to hear how this turns out. Well, actually I'll wait. Thats fine
Maybe I should have used a litote.I only got a B in english 40 years ago.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Brewed this up yesterday. Almost everything went as planned. OG was 1.069 and pitched yeast at 62F. Had tons of hot and cold break in the boil kettle. So much that it kept clogging my braided SS filter on my dip tube. I had to take the filter off and just ran most of the break into the fermentor. I'm going to use a secondary for cold conditioning, so this shouldn't be much of an issue. And I'm going to top crop the yeast, so I won't need to worry about rinsing the trub out to save it. Airlock is bubbling away this morning!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Moved to secondary yesterday with the gravity at 1.011. Tasted the hydrometer sample, and it doesn't taste much like Vitus. There is hardly any noticeable banana, and not a lot of clove either. Something about my fermentation process must be off. My last weizen tasted a lot like this, with almost no banana and clove. I get some wheat flavor, a little bubble gum and strawberry, some tart sourness, and some tangy flavors. I'm wondering if I'm overpitching or over-aerating. I use yeastcalc.com to calculate cell counts and just pitch the normal ale rates. Perhaps this is too high for Wyeast 3068. Also, I use an aeration stone and pump pure oxygen for 45-60 seconds into the wort. Perhaps I'm not "stressing" the yeast out enough to get the banana flavors. Any thoughts?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #9
starman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Never used 3068 but fwiw I think you're right. As I understand it, hitting the wort with an O2 stone would be counter productive to ester production since it ultimately increases the total number of cells. Maybe a smaller starter with no O2 the next time around. For posterity do you know how many cells you calculated to pitch?

Also, how were temps? Did you let it rise to 68 per your initial recipe?

Old 05-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #10
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I pitched ~260 billion cells. I fermented at the stated temps. I pitched at 62F and did the bulk of the ferment at 62-64F. Then when it was almost finished I raised it to 68F over a couple of days. It was held at 68F for 5 days and then transferred to secondary.

I think next time I'll underpitch the yeast, maybe 150-170 billion cells, and then just give a short 10 sec blast of oxygen (or maybe none). My only concern is that it will not attenuate as well. I'd like for it to finish between 1.012 and 1.008, so that it has a dry finish like Vitus. Anyone get 3068 to attenuate well after underpitching?