Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Ayinger Jahrhundert-Bier? Any Ideas

Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
robertwcelliott
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ayinger Jahrhundert-Bier? Any Ideas

I'm more of an ale drinker than lagers, but I absolutely love this beer. I've looked everywhere online and can't find an all grain clone. If anyone has ideas or experience with this recipe, I'm all ears. For those of you who haven't tried this beer, I recommend you go out and get one today. It's a light lager with golden hues, bready cereal malt notes with mild earthy floral hop aroma. Very little hop bitterness, just enough to balance the malt profile.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
cladinshadows
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi Robert -

I'd like to resurrect this thread. I've recently discovered this beer and I'm with you - I think it's fantastic. I was lucky enough to enjoy some in Munich at the Ayinger Wirsthaus and was so happy to find that it's usually available here in southern CA. It's got that certain balance that neither a Helles or a Pilsner has for me that takes it from a 1L beer to a 3L beer. I'm hoping for some advice from you or anyone else on a clone or inspired-by type recipe for this beer. Did you end up brewing something? Was it successful? Would you change anything to make it more like the Ayinger beer?

Based on my very limited German-style beer brewing experience, I would guess that this starts somewhere in the 1.050-1.052 range using mostly german pilsner and 5-10% munich malt. Hop it with about 25 IBUs coming from Hallertau (the vast majority coming from a beginning-of-the-boil addition), and ferment with WLP833.

Any thoughts or advice?
JPrather Likes This 
Old 12-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
giraffe
Recipes 

Liked 144 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Thats their dortmunder export style of beer. Ive never tried to brew it, but id start there. Quality and pils and 10% munich 1 is where id start. And hop with mittlefrau or similar. Probably around 1.055. Use gypsum over calcium chloride to hit mash ph.

Ayinger's yeast strain is available as wlp833. It is my favorite lager strain.