Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding Fruit

Old 05-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
ness22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Fruit

So I brewed an American Wheat using US-05 dry yeast, primary two weeks and then I transferred it into my 5 gal secondary so I could clean my 6 gal carboy before I added my fruit. I let it sit in the secondary over night and bought Oregon blackberries today. I poured them into my 6 gal ( wanted room for fermentation) and then racked my beer on top. It has been about 8 hours and there is no activity visibly or in my airlock. It's sitting at about 62*F so I'm just wondering if I need to wait longer or pitch more yeast or move to a warmer temp?? Any recommendations would be great thanks!!

Old 05-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
DannPM
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Did the gravity change? You won't always see signs of fermentation.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
ness22
Recipes 

Well I guess I didn't take another gravity reading because i assumed that adding all the fruit would raise the gravity. I did notice this morning though that some of the blackberries are white and floating on top, does that mean fermentation is going?

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
bcgpete
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No. I usually just let my beer sit on the fruit for 10-14 days. I've got a blonde on some strawberries right now. It's been there a little over a week. I'd take a sample to check the gravity, and taste the sample to see if it's got enough flavor from the blackberries.