Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Ohio HomeBrew Forum > New to the brew Cincy!

Old 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #31
Tbhooptie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree...

I have been to Listermanns a few times. But prefer Paradise. Paradise is extremely friendly and always willing to help whether its choosing a kit, ingredients for a recipe you are working on, or for equipment.
Listermanns isnt "evil" in any way, just not who I prefer... if I lived closer, I would probably go there more often to be honest.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #32
MrSpaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah, Listermann's is obviously super convenient. I'm hoping to hit up Paradise for fun sometime soon and talk to workers there, based on what people are saying. But it is cool to hit up the tap room at Listermann's. They have some good beers there and I'm working on my beer palate, which isn't very good at the moment. It's hard for me to pick out things in beer, which is obviously something needed in homebrewing.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #33
nmendres
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to home brewing.

I started out about a year ago with my son giving me a Mr. Beer as a present. I've moved up to 5 gallon batches and having a blast. I have a coffee stout in the fermenter right now. Someday I'll step up to all grain.

I live over on the east side near Paradise Brewing, so I go there quite a bit. Great guys there and they are helpful. I also go to Mt. Carmel Brewing, and buy their beer between batches. If you haven't been there, you should stop in.

I have brewers in my family tree, so that's always fun to know. Maybe I have the Knack.

Advice: save your Mr. Beer LBK. I use mine to make hard cider. Just sayin'.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #34
MrSpaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just hit up Paradise on Thursday. Not sure if he was the owner, but he really wasn't helpful. He kept saying "this is your beer, I'm just getting the supplies" The whole purpose of me going there was to get help for my English Bitter. I drove 35 minutes to get there as opposed to 5 to get to Listermann's. Not much help. When I got home I realized my White Labs yeast was way over it's Best By which was early May. I was very sad about the visit. Don't see a reason to go back there.

Old 12-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #35
jmward21
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'm bumping this old post back to the top. I started brewing about a month ago. I've made 2 batches both from brewers best kits. I live close to Jungle Jim's so it was convenient. I've visited Listermann's twice and had decent experiences both times. I was just there yesterday buying the ingredients for 2 beers I found on this forum. They are both extract but I had to mix the steeping grains. Allen and Chuck showed me where everything was and gave me a quick lesson on the grain mill. They had every grain on my list and all the hops and yeasts. From reading on the recipe forum a lot of people had to make substitutions so I take that as a good sign for Listermann's. I found them to be very helpful.

Next up for me to understand the whole water chemistry aspect of brewing then maybe next year look into all grain. I don't want to overwhelm myself. I jumped right into kegging so I want to get my process down before moving forward.

Any rate, hopefully some of you are still members of this forum (it's been over a year since the last post). I'm interested in joining a club or just hearing from your past experiences to learn more.

-Justin
Bottled: Cream of 3 Crops Ale
Secondary: Centennial Blonde
Primary: Two Hearted Ale Clone
On Deck: Graff
*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club
Untappd: Thrustin Brewery - jmward21

Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #36
MrSpaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Welcome! I just joined the Cincinnati Malt Infusers last month. We are meeting Friday for our Christmas party. I had a blast at my first meeting and signed up (only $15) I can tell I will learn a lot

I live close to listermanns so I always go there since they definitely will have what I need!

Old 12-18-2014, 12:28 AM   #37
jmward21
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpaz View Post
Welcome! I just joined the Cincinnati Malt Infusers last month. We are meeting Friday for our Christmas party. I had a blast at my first meeting and signed up (only $15) I can tell I will learn a lot

I live close to listermanns so I always go there since they definitely will have what I need!
Where are the Malt Infusers meetings? and are they always on Fridays?
Bottled: Cream of 3 Crops Ale
Secondary: Centennial Blonde
Primary: Two Hearted Ale Clone
On Deck: Graff
*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar Club
Untappd: Thrustin Brewery - jmward21

Old 12-18-2014, 03:11 AM   #38
MrSpaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In norwood. Typically they are the second Thursday of the month
jmward21 Likes This 
Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 AM   #39
tlucarelli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How is the Malt Infusers group? I was thinking about joining some type of club. I'm up near Mason and I am digging Osborn in Monroe as my LHBS.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #40
MrSpaz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have been twice and love it so far. Tomorrow we have a speaker about Belgian Specialty Ales I believe. They just asked for volunteers to brew and English brown ale for our march meeting. We all share our beers and talk about them. I love it