Safale us-05 soft packaging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoa

Reaction score
I bought an 11.5g package of this yesterday and the package is soft and even has a bit of gas in it. I didn't think anything of it until I read on the fermentis website that the yeast comes in vacuum sealed packages and shouldn't be used if the package is soft. What confuses me a bit is that the package reads packaged in a protective atmosphere.
Does anyone know if these are supposed to be vacuum packed? Or is the protective atmosphere inside the sachet?

I've got about a dozen packets each of both S04 and S05. They're all the same as you describe. The only vacuum packed yeast I have is notty.

OP - welcome to the board!
I just ordered some US-05, since in all my years of brewing I've never used it (Nottingham and Coopers mostly). But I've heard nothing but good things, so I wouldn't worry much.

Cheers!

Demon said:
I've got about a dozen packets each of both S04 and S05. They're all the same as you describe. The only vacuum packed yeast I have is notty.

Yes, fermentis isn't in hard packs like Notty now

Good to know. Thanks!
I've used Nottingham for 5 other batches I've done with good results and the us-05 for Yooper's house ale, which I just bottled the other night.
I was surprised to read the sachet was vacuum packed, it just didn't seem right. They must have been referring to either past packaging or a European product.

Latest posts

Back