Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Swivel Nut material? Safe after StarSan super-soak?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
BeerDeNoel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Swivel Nut material? Safe after StarSan super-soak?

After searching the interwebs and HBT, I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly your standard 1/4" Swivel Nut (silver-colored) is made out of. Stainless? Something else with stainless plate?

Leaving my aerator hose & swivel nut/airstone combo in StarSan for a few hours caused the swivel nut to turn a lovely shade of grey/black.

One doesn't want to risk anything when a piece of metal is in contact with wort for at least 30 minutes ... but if a quick dip in something else removes the tarnish and keeps the metal safe for wort-contact (and saves a buck or two), then cheers to that!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Gartywood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like its ok to use it then. Am I correct? I have a number of previously chromed brass fittings (kettle valves, flare to barb adapters, etc) that are now just brass that I continue to use in my brewery.