WLP644 -Brett B Trois - Page 65 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #641
PghMakesMeDrunk
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 48
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Crap, I wish I had done a little more research on this strain and the starter needed before I jumped into my first all Brett beer.

I thought it looked a little different from other wlp vials as there was not as much sediment in the bottom as there usually is. I didn't think much of it til today.

I brewed a 50% Belgian Pale, 50% Wheat beer yesterday, 1.053 OG. Hopped with all Nelson Sauvin to about 40 IBU's. I pitched 2 vials of 644 right into the carboy. It's been about 20 hours & I have zero activity. Guess all I can do is wait & see what happens.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #642
Matteo57
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Corona, ca
Posts: 754
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Well my grossly under pitched beer I ended up tossing! Personally, I would suggest throwing in a vial of a Belgian yeast of some kind but not sure if that will help by the time you get it and tore it in. Not sure as I haven't done more than 2 full Brett beers but good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #643
JLem
 
JLem's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,639
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PghMakesMeDrunk View Post
Crap, I wish I had done a little more research on this strain and the starter needed before I jumped into my first all Brett beer.

I thought it looked a little different from other wlp vials as there was not as much sediment in the bottom as there usually is. I didn't think much of it til today.

I brewed a 50% Belgian Pale, 50% Wheat beer yesterday, 1.053 OG. Hopped with all Nelson Sauvin to about 40 IBU's. I pitched 2 vials of 644 right into the carboy. It's been about 20 hours & I have zero activity. Guess all I can do is wait & see what happens.
Two vials should be plenty. It will work. Just give it time. I did a standard starter for my 100% Brett Trois beer - just like any ale strain - and it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

RDWHAHB
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 AM   #644
PghMakesMeDrunk
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 48
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
Two vials should be plenty. It will work. Just give it time. I did a standard starter for my 100% Brett Trois beer - just like any ale strain - and it turned out to be one of the best beers I ever made.

RDWHAHB
Yeah, it seemed to pick up last night and is going good now. I'm just not used to that much lag time.

I still have 1 vial of 644 Im planning to use with something else. I will definitely make a starter with that first. I'm gonna have this cake too, I was thinking about a Fruit Beer maybe when this is done.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #645
terrapinj
 
terrapinj's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 2,416
Liked 170 Times on 126 Posts


any had issues with acetone aroma/mild flavor with this strain?

I have a ~ 2month old berliner weisse (no boil) that I soured the wort for a few days in a corny and then pitched a large starter of Trois and it has a nose/taste of acetone. My starter for my upcoming Trois XPA has the same nose on it as well

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #646
Matteo57
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Corona, ca
Posts: 754
Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PghMakesMeDrunk View Post
Yeah, it seemed to pick up last night and is going good now. I'm just not used to that much lag time.

I still have 1 vial of 644 Im planning to use with something else. I will definitely make a starter with that first. I'm gonna have this cake too, I was thinking about a Fruit Beer maybe when this is done.
I'm guessing if you have been doing your homework since your last pitch you know this, but just make sure you give your starter a long period of time to grow. I believe it is usually about 20 something days that was suggested from Chad Yakobson from Crooked stave. There are I guess three stages of growth in brett growth. Interesting stuff!
Good luck with your one batch, hopefully it will turn out better than mine did!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 AM   #647
metic
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 346
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj View Post
any had issues with acetone aroma/mild flavor with this strain?

I have a ~ 2month old berliner weisse (no boil) that I soured the wort for a few days in a corny and then pitched a large starter of Trois and it has a nose/taste of acetone. My starter for my upcoming Trois XPA has the same nose on it as well
I've had a few starters that smelt like this, but never a finished beer (so far). If you look at Chad Yakobson's research, he found that some strains of brett produce higher levels of ethyl acetate when pitched into pre-soured wort (see here, p.20, 32), so that might explain what you're seeing. I would give it more time though, as these flavours might dissipate or be further modified by the brett.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 AM   #648
adrock430
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Boston, MA
Posts: 173
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Acetone smell is ethyl acetate and sure fire evidence of acetobacter infection. Limiting air contact is key to preventing this, as alcohol is converted by acetobacter into acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. The acetate will then react with some ethanol, making ethyl acetate.

If the acetone is real bad you can blend. It's pleasant and fruity at lower concentrations. Doesn't really age out tho, at least not after a year in my experience.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #649
Petekiteworld
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Burlington, Vermont
Posts: 186
Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts


Just put together an all citra wheat APA with all brett trois. Made a quick starter for 5 days then pitched, had activity in the fermentor in 12hrs. Bubbling away steadily at 72, blowoff smells delicious!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Home Brew mobile app

Oophaga Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #650
badlee
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 2,052
Liked 157 Times on 127 Posts


One gallon of 1800 Whitbread London Porter.
The Durden Park recipe says"quality ale yeast", doesn't get much more quality than BBT

Sent from my GT-I8552B using Home Brew mobile app

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repitching Brett from a 100% Brett fermented beer Coff Lambic & Wild Brewing 13 10-01-2015 09:53 PM
All-Brett still going Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 02-02-2012 04:45 PM
Adding Brett to a Brett beer Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 4 09-28-2011 04:39 PM
First All Brett November Lambic & Wild Brewing 12 06-25-2011 01:39 AM
Brett or something else? twohands Lambic & Wild Brewing 15 02-15-2010 01:52 AM


Forum Jump