Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois

Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #491
ryanhope
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theveganbrewer View Post
The levels of ethanol and acetic acid produced during aerobic batch culture are dependent on the levels of aeration with increased concentrations of oxygen lowering growth rates (Aguilar Uscanga et al., 2003).
For those curious this excerpt it taken from the http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/dissertation under growth factors.

Here are some other relevant excerpts:

Quote:
"Custers findings included observing considerable amounts of acetic acid, produced during aerobic fermentation, while no appreciable amounts formed during anaerobic fermentation."

"The metabolism of acetaldehyde in Brettanomyces spp. under anaerobic conditions has not been thoroughly studied, while under aerobic conditions Carrascosa et al. (1981) found support for the mechanism of Custers effect being linked to the formation of acetic acid through the oxidative conversion of acetaldehyde."

"Brettanomyces spp. have been observed to utilize both glucose and ethanol in producing acetic acid under increased levels of oxygen, although Freer (2002) showed not all strains could use both as carbon sources, with high variability seen in the levels of acetic acid produced by different strains."
So just because you have lucked out using a stir plate with brett does not mean you can't get acetic acid. I personally err on the side of caution and start my brett starters (with not stir plate) a few weeks before I want to brew a new brett beer. This is probably more important when growing brett up from bottle dregs due to the extended lag phase but why risk it with a white labs vial.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #492
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhope

For those curious this excerpt it taken from the http://www.brettanomycesproject.com/dissertation under growth factors.

So just because you have lucked out using a stir plate with brett does not mean you can't get acetic acid. I personally err on the side of caution and start my brett starters (with not stir plate) a few weeks before I want to brew a new brett beer. This is probably more important when growing brett up from bottle dregs due to the extended lag phase but why risk it with a white labs vial.
Just decan't the starter! If there's some acetic acid, you'll throw it away. I decant all my sacch starter...because a starter is oxydised wort/beer and yeast. Only take the yeast.

No?

Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #493
theveganbrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Yeah, I have never pitched an entire starter, I always decant.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #494
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2245 Times on 1518 Posts
Likes Given: 2332

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhope View Post

A little knowldege is a dangerous thing. How'd you take this info and decide not to use a stirplate exactly?

Old 07-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #495
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I just read the whole brett project dissertation, and it appears that brett brux trois (Brie) has really good attenuation at low pitching rate, even lower rates than sacch ale pitching rate.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #496
kaips1
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe

A little knowldege is a dangerous thing. How'd you take this info and decide not to use a stirplate exactly?
I would say fear and ignorance is how they got using a stir plate as being bad.
theveganbrewer Likes This 
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #497
BrasseurGeorges
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wow... fear, ignorance, little information. Some pretty heavy stuff there. Sometimes I think people forget it's just beer.

My choice is to propagate in an environment as close to what it will experience in fermentation as possible. For brett that's intended for primary, usually this would mean lightly hopped wort, no aeration, ~70F. Two steps to hit the desired cell count. I like to crash and decant, then use the repitching from slurry calculation at ale rates.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #498
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

It's just beer but still, yeast needs oxygen. Giving them oxygen is way better than giving them the same "atmosphere" at first.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #499
GTG
Farm Out!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This yeast makes a really good mead also. Use 3 lbs honey per gallon and let it ferment in the 70's will produce a nice medium mead.
MattHollingsworth Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #500
Tiroux
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I just decanted my starter after 6 days, to step up. I did get some acetic notes, but it doesn't bother me, I'll decant before pitching in the wort wich I will not aerate.