Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 02:38 AM   #281
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quaker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Burlington, WI
Posts: 830
Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
Just prepped a 2L starter to revive my salvaged yeast from this summer's 2 brews. Next weekend I'm planning a Amarillo pale ale with it. I haven't fully decided the grist yet, but likely same as my first Countdown Blond: 4/3/2/1 of Pils/Vienna/Munich/Wheat + 1 pound of flaked oats as a Brett treat.
I've gotten distracted by barley wine recipes, so this starter is going to sleep for a bit. I also have a near full keg of pale ale on tap and another in waiting. So I don't need to worry about my hoppy pipeline for a bit.


__________________
My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".
Quaker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #282
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: long island, new york
Posts: 562
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Has anyone had any issues fermenting this in a typical bucket? In doing research, I've found that some get overly acidic results from a long primary in a bucket due to the introduction of oxygen through the plastic. Would it be an issues if I only kept it in primary for ~5 weeks? I only own one glass carboy, and it's only a 5 gal.


flyingfinbar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #283
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,652
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinbar View Post
Has anyone had any issues fermenting this in a typical bucket? In doing research, I've found that some get overly acidic results from a long primary in a bucket due to the introduction of oxygen through the plastic. Would it be an issues if I only kept it in primary for ~5 weeks? I only own one glass carboy, and it's only a 5 gal.
I don't think you'll have a problem in that time frame. If you were leaving it in there for several months you might see some effects of increased oxygen, but I doubt you'll notice anything after just 5 weeks.
__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar
JLem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #284
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 1,783
Liked 129 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

I'm thinking of using my BrettTrois,built up from ok cubes(thanks A.) to brew a Belgian IPA.
2.5gallons
2lb Munich
2lb Vienna
1lb two-row
1lb pils
a handful or two of flaked wheat
1oz of Zythos at 15,10 and 5
Is this the kind of thing that will go well with this Brett strain?
badlee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 AM   #285
mhenry41h
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I don't know what sort of age requirements have of necessary for the beers you all have brewed with this strain, but mine is taking a while to "get right.". At first (Golden Strong), mine was overwhelmingly fruity, I mean intense. Now, it's really starting to come in to it's own. I'm likely to sit on these for a considerable time.
__________________
Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490
___________________
Draconian Libations
mhenry41h is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #286
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 1,783
Liked 129 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default

was that maybe just the Brett interacting with the hops?
badlee is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #287
mhenry41h
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem

This had been my experience as well, although I thoroughly enjoyed mine at 3 weeks when the hop character was fresh. Mine's now approaching 3 months old and I'm getting some slight lemony sourness that either wasn't there before or was hidden by the hops. Dropped crystal clear quickly and has been a delicious beer all the way through.
I completely agree with these sentiments. I wasn't happy with it being super fresh (although mine did take forever to carb). I agree that I'm developing a lot of stone fruit type esters and there is a decided tartness that was completely unexpected with a Brett strain.
__________________
Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490
___________________
Draconian Libations
mhenry41h is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #288
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 918
Liked 214 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Default

I actually found perhaps the last known vial of WLP644 in the English speaking world for sale. It is in my possession now. I know some people were unable to obtain it because of the freakishly short supply. So I'd be glad to share the wealth and culture it up and mail some out to people living in the Continential US. You'll have to cover postage. It was hard to find this stuff and I didn't think it was fair to not share it. It's 8 months until it gets released again.

I'm not going to promise sterility here, but I do promise that my kitchen is probably cleaner than your average east coast compounding pharmacy. So no meningitis in the yeast. And I'm not going to promise viability since I'm just some dude in the suburbs. But, if you're cool with that, shoot me a PM and I'll figure out if it will work.
highgravitybacon is offline
Schnibbz Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #289
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: long island, new york
Posts: 562
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgravitybacon View Post
I actually found perhaps the last known vial of WLP644 in the English speaking world for sale. It is in my possession now. I know some people were unable to obtain it because of the freakishly short supply. So I'd be glad to share the wealth and culture it up and mail some out to people living in the Continential US. You'll have to cover postage. It was hard to find this stuff and I didn't think it was fair to not share it. It's 8 months until it gets released again.

I'm not going to promise sterility here, but I do promise that my kitchen is probably cleaner than your average east coast compounding pharmacy. So no meningitis in the yeast. And I'm not going to promise viability since I'm just some dude in the suburbs. But, if you're cool with that, shoot me a PM and I'll figure out if it will work.
Very generous/cool of you to do
flyingfinbar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #290
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beacon, New York
Posts: 228
Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry41h View Post
I don't know what sort of age requirements have of necessary for the beers you all have brewed with this strain, but mine is taking a while to "get right.". At first (Golden Strong), mine was overwhelmingly fruity, I mean intense. Now, it's really starting to come in to it's own. I'm likely to sit on these for a considerable time.
I think the overwhelming fruitiness is what a lot of people, including myself, liked about Trois. Even in a fairly plain beer, it produces a super intense aroma and flavor that's unlike anything else I've experience.

I think it really shines when paired with a lot of hops, though... the bitterness helps balance all that fruitiness. I'm sure you could use in in tangent with some other Brett strains to cut down on the fruitiness for a Golden Strong, too.


othellomcbane is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repitching Brett from a 100% Brett fermented beer Coff Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 05-29-2014 01:40 AM
All-Brett still going Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 02-02-2012 04:45 PM
Adding Brett to a Brett beer Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 4 09-28-2011 04:39 PM
First All Brett November Lambic & Wild Brewing 12 06-25-2011 01:39 AM
Brett or something else? twohands Lambic & Wild Brewing 15 02-15-2010 01:52 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS