Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > WLP644 -Brett B Trois
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #101
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beacon, New York
Posts: 228
Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
Just ordered it from highgravity brew. looking forward to an all brett sasion
Thanks for the tip, glad someone still has it in stock.

Non-sarcastic question: if it's a 100% Brett fermented beer, what would make it a saison?

I've often debated what to call an All Brett beer, since they're not really sour beers and not technically wild ales. Farmhouse ale seems appropriate, as the end beer is similar to a saison, but I think "farmhouse ale" is a broader term than saison, which is specific to a beer with saison yeast, as far as I know.


othellomcbane is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #102
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 420
Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Default

One thing I have just noticed in my latest Table Saison with 100% Brett is how clean the fermentation profile turned out. The beer was mashed at 148 with 20% rolled oats. This beer fermented from 1.044 down to 1.000 in about a week. I am thinking that without very many complex sugars (from a higher mash temp or crystal malts) that the Brett does not produce the same esters. This is just one data point, but I'd like to hear how others do with this yeast in a Saison.

I'll give an update as this beer progresses.


Almighty is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:13 AM   #103
JNEL73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: glens falls, ny
Posts: 35
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
I was thinking about using this strain with a Galaxy/Centennial APA. Be sure to post back with results!

Did you aerate? And how large of a starter?

1liter starter and aerated but old school rocking and rolling til tired. Will update once results are in smells great but makes me sad all those aromatic leaving the beer
JNEL73 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #104
mhenry41h
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Posts: 905
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

My starter was 1600 ml with 1 vial of East Coast Yeast 09 - Belgian Abbaye and 1 vial of Brett B Trois. I arrested the starter (on stirplate) at 10 hours to crash chill. It was really tart. My guess is that it had less to do with the yeast and more to do with the fact that I stopped the fermentation before it was done. Acetyaldehyde & fusels are my guess as to why.
__________________
Fermenting: Lambic and Dry Orange Blossom Mead
Conditioning: Brett Drei Golden Strong
Next: Nut Brown, Wee Heavy, & Rye IPA
Drinking: Brett - Aussie Blonde, Black IPA, Belgian Stout, Munich Helles

Follow My Brewing Excursions at:

http://<br /> <font size="5"><font ...</font></font>

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dracon...58343357538490
___________________
Draconian Libations
mhenry41h is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #105
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,471
Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
One thing I have just noticed in my latest Table Saison with 100% Brett is how clean the fermentation profile turned out. The beer was mashed at 148 with 20% rolled oats. This beer fermented from 1.044 down to 1.000 in about a week. I am thinking that without very many complex sugars (from a higher mash temp or crystal malts) that the Brett does not produce the same esters. This is just one data point, but I'd like to hear how others do with this yeast in a Saison.

I'll give an update as this beer progresses.
Well your beer sounds similar to mine, 1.045 Saison base Pils Munich and Wheat mashed at 148-49. Im thinking about hitting it with some Maltodextrin, just a very little bit to add body/ complex sugars for the brett to work on. The problem with that is Im worried I'll have to wait longer to bottle, and maybe Im better off leaving it alone.
Coff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #106
Almighty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 420
Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Default

Coff - For research purposes it would be great if you could leave out the maltodextrin and taste this beer at 2 weeks and see if you get the clean flavors I experienced. After that maybe you could bottle with maltodextrin.

I decided to dry-hop half of the batch with 2 oz of HBC342 hops and then bottle the other half straight to see how it will develop.
Almighty is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #107
Coff
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,471
Liked 166 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

Im going to leave it as is, maybe rack to a gallon jug with some malto as an experiment.

With our beers being similar maybe there is a trade in our future for further research.

Before I pitched my starter I refilled the vial, it's settles and has a very nice clean bit of yeast at the bottom, many more cells then the original vial. I plan to do the same everytime with this strain.
__________________
Blog:
Alesoftheriverwards.com

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @ed_coffey
Coff is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #108
ReverseApacheMaster
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 4,887
Liked 233 Times on 194 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellomcbane View Post
Thanks for the tip, glad someone still has it in stock.

Non-sarcastic question: if it's a 100% Brett fermented beer, what would make it a saison?

I've often debated what to call an All Brett beer, since they're not really sour beers and not technically wild ales. Farmhouse ale seems appropriate, as the end beer is similar to a saison, but I think "farmhouse ale" is a broader term than saison, which is specific to a beer with saison yeast, as far as I know.
Isn't the first question, what is a saison? Is it a style or brewing technique? Maybe it's a bit of both.

I don't think of all brett beers as a saison because they don't have that same dry, rustic character to them. However, you could probably call it a saison if it is built like a saison but with different yeast. Lots of breweries call brett beers "wild ales" which I also don't think is very accurate.

Is there a problem just calling it an all brett beer?
ReverseApacheMaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #109
othellomcbane
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Beacon, New York
Posts: 228
Liked 38 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverseApacheMaster View Post
Isn't the first question, what is a saison? Is it a style or brewing technique? Maybe it's a bit of both.

I don't think of all brett beers as a saison because they don't have that same dry, rustic character to them. However, you could probably call it a saison if it is built like a saison but with different yeast. Lots of breweries call brett beers "wild ales" which I also don't think is very accurate.

Is there a problem just calling it an all brett beer?
Yeah, the beer world has struggled so far to come up with good genre terms for contemporary sour and Brett beers. I like "all Brett" or "100% Brett", maybe with a modifier after that like "100% Brett Farmhouse ale" or "100% Brett Belgian golden ale." I guess saison does work, and a lot of saisons are 'finished' with Brett anyway. Reading the BJCP guidelines again, it is a pretty loosely defined style.
othellomcbane is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:49 AM   #110
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Attleboro, MA
Posts: 3,653
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Finally got around to bottling my batch after dry hopping with some Motueka and EKG.. FG held steady at 1.011ish. Am still concerned that the Brett will take it lower, so primed for slightly less carbonation. Can't wait to see how this turns out in a few weeks.


__________________
My Hombrewing Blog

My Beer Cellar
JLem is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repitching Brett from a 100% Brett fermented beer Coff Lambic & Wild Brewing 11 05-29-2014 01:40 AM
All-Brett still going Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 6 02-02-2012 04:45 PM
Adding Brett to a Brett beer Calder Lambic & Wild Brewing 4 09-28-2011 04:39 PM
First All Brett November Lambic & Wild Brewing 12 06-25-2011 01:39 AM
Brett or something else? twohands Lambic & Wild Brewing 15 02-15-2010 01:52 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS