Portable Keg Faucet for dispensing? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Soda Making > Portable Keg Faucet for dispensing?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts

I'm looking to get a keg of root beer ready for my daughter's open house and am considering using one of those adapters that fit right on a faucet to serve it.

My concern is that it will cause a sht load of foaming! Does anyone have any experience with one of these things, or would I be better off to use a picnic tap and a long length of hose, or even rig up a regular faucet and lots of hose to serve?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

Haven't tried an adapter, as none of them seem to have flow restrictions built in. I use a party tap and 20' of 3/16ths for soda.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
EFaden
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Rochester, New York
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Haven't tried an adapter, as none of them seem to have flow restrictions built in. I use a party tap and 20' of 3/16ths for soda.
You could use one of the new Perls with the flow control... or use the micromatic inline flow control. I was toying with getting the same thing at some point. Let me know if you want URLs and I can show you what I'm talking about.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI

I'd get a quick connect adapter and faucet if they performed well. I have a feeling there will be a lot of foam due to the pressure issue.

I could just buy some beer line and a cheap faucet and dedicate it to portable serving. My idea was to build a trash can type kegerator with a kitchen trash can and some ice. I'd coil the beer line up around the keg down in the ice water and attach the end of it to a faucet mounted on a board sticking up above the trash can.

A QD style faucet would eliminate having to mount the faucet on a board of some type. It's really not that big a deal. It would also store more conveniently, which is more important. It would also be easier to carry around and quicker to set up and put away...

Old 05-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFaden View Post
You could use one of the new Perls with the flow control... or use the micromatic inline flow control. I was toying with getting the same thing at some point. Let me know if you want URLs and I can show you what I'm talking about.
Ok, dammit...

Thanks for making me buy more stuff!

Those faucets seem to be a pretty sweet device. I currently have a lager on tap that likes to foam with 10' of hose. I need to insert some paint mixers to slow it down, but with this I could dial in a perfect pour easily.

I'll be thinking about getting one of these all day now.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
EFaden
Recipes 

Jan 2006
Rochester, New York
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Ok, dammit...

Thanks for making me buy more stuff!

Those faucets seem to be a pretty sweet device. I currently have a lager on tap that likes to foam with 10' of hose. I need to insert some paint mixers to slow it down, but with this I could dial in a perfect pour easily.

I'll be thinking about getting one of these all day now.
No problem. :-) ... The only downside with the Perl is that it isn't all stainless... the micromatic inline one is. I have one on my seltzer tap, but was thinking about doing the faucet adapter, micromatic flow control and a stainless perl for portable keg dispensing.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
Roach
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Fort Collins, Co
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

All of this seems very interesting, but I'm kinda left in the dust on this one.

Could someone find a few links referring to what everyone is bringing up? Even pics would help.

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI

Perlick

Micromatic adapter