Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry Hop Infection?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
eobie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Default Dry Hop Infection?

So I brewed a Pliny clone and am done the first round of dry hopping. Took a peek this morning to see how it's coming along and I see some floaters that weren't there after the transfer to secondary. Is this from the bag? I dipped the whole bag in star san before throwing it in there. Also with the 7.7 abv I figured that would also fight off some baddies.

Popped it open and it smells great. Will try a sample tonight I guess.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1708852790.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	60391   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3294080038.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	60392   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1835469002.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	60393   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3301967260.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	60394  

Old 05-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It could be three things: yeas rafts, CO2 bubbles escaping, or an infection. There is so much alcohol in Pliny that I doubt it's an infection. I would have weighted the hop bag down a little though.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
eobie
Recipes 

Can yeast rafts form in secondary when they didn't exist after transfer from primary? This is definitely not co2....

Old 05-07-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1158 Times on 941 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobie View Post
Can yeast rafts form in secondary when they didn't exist after transfer from primary? This is definitely not co2....
Yes, when you transfer your beer it gets stirred up some which releases some of the dissolved CO2. There will be yeast in the beer and some of it will get carried to the surface with the CO2 and will make neat little rafts there.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
eobie
Recipes 

They are sorta puffy and transparent. Guess I will investigate more when I get home. If it were another batch and it was infected I wouldn't feel so bad, but a Pliny batch is expensive so I'm worried about losing it.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I appears more like hop debris or break material than an infection. Either from some hops escaping the bag, or by stirring up the bottom of the carboy. Probably the latter... I think you will be fine.

Next time dryhop will pellets. Just toss them in; no need to bag. Bagging them reduces dryhop contact exposure to the wort and limits the potential of your dryhop. Plus, I bet it was a bitch to get the bagged hops in there, as it will be to remove them.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Looks alot like coagulated protein (break material) that got pulled over from primary.. It always happens!!
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
eobie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I appears more like hop debris or break material than an infection. Either from some hops escaping the bag, or by stirring up the bottom of the carboy. Probably the latter... I think you will be fine.

Next time dryhop will pellets. Just toss them in; no need to bag. Bagging them reduces dryhop contact exposure to the wort and limits the potential of your dryhop. Plus, I bet it was a bitch to get the bagged hops in there, as it will be to remove them.
I did use pellets, just in the bag. Getting them out shouldn't be too bad. Will rack to keg and then just pull them through. This better bottle has a faucet on the bottom so all I have to do is pull the air lock and drain.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 426 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I didn't see the faucet on the bottom from the pic. Be careful though... If draining from the bottom, all the trub and any residual fallen hop debris will be carried over to the keg. Personally, I would rack from the top with a cane. You went through the trouble of racking to secondary, so why not follow through with ensuring you have a particle free beer?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #10
eobie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
I didn't see the faucet on the bottom from the pic. Be careful though... If draining from the bottom, all the trub and any residual fallen hop debris will be carried over to the keg. Personally, I would rack from the top with a cane. You went through the trouble of racking to secondary, so why not follow through with ensuring you have a particle free beer?
Yeah the faucet is covered by one of the towels. I can turn the faucet so it sits above the trub. I've done it before without issue. I'll have to remember to turn it up tonight so it has time to settle again when I rack on friday.