Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Million Dollar Question...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
mrbump
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Million Dollar Question...

I just brewed my second batch last night (liberty cream ale) and for the second time I had a boil over (luckily it was tiny compared to the 1st one!). Thanks to this forum I was well aware of the boil over possibility and invested in a turkey fryer to do my brewing outside.

My question is...how in the heck have those of you that brew indoors survived the wrath of your wife/gf when you have a boil over in the kitchen? My wife would have killed me on the spot if I would have had that happen in the house. Holy mess!

Old 05-06-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brew when she is not home.

When I make a mess, I clean it up. The only boil over I had was outside. Now I watch it like a hawk.

She makes more of a mess than I do anyway. lol.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Adding fermcap-s to the kettle just before it starts to boil (at any point after the foam starts forming is good) at 2-3 drops per gallon in the boil (starting volume) works wonders. Risk of boil-over at that point is virtually nil. Even when you add your hops and such.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
inordeck
Recipes 

I was brewing with my step dad and we had a pretty bad boil over in my mom's kitchen and my wife was there too. I haven't had one again. Best to stay on top of it like a hawk and avoid it all together.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Whut
Mmmm, beer.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1741 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 8719

Easy. After my first brew she told me no more and I've been brewing in the garage ever since. Oh, and watching it like a hawk as well.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
AgentHubcap
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 23

get a bigger pot. problem solved

Old 05-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 673 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Watch like a hawk with your hand on the throttle.. A spray bottle of clod water also can tame it down fast.

I brewed a lot in the kitchen and have nevr had a boil over, but many close calls.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Wow, lots of nervous Nelly's watching their kettle 'like a hawk'...

I simply check mine until it actually hits a boil (after adding fermcap) and then start my timers. From then on, I might check to ensure it's still boiling at the rate I want (depends on the temperature where it's boiling and how much propane is in the tank). I've had over 9 gallons in a 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettle without issue. Hell, my brew buddy has had ~7.5 gallons in the 8 gallon kettle he uses. With fermcap added, you don't need to worry so much.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #9
HibsMax
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Wow, lots of nervous Nelly's watching their kettle 'like a hawk'...

I simply check mine until it actually hits a boil (after adding fermcap) and then start my timers. From then on, I might check to ensure it's still boiling at the rate I want (depends on the temperature where it's boiling and how much propane is in the tank). I've had over 9 gallons in a 10 gallon BoilerMaker kettle without issue. Hell, my brew buddy has had ~7.5 gallons in the 8 gallon kettle he uses. With fermcap added, you don't need to worry so much.
I like the thrill. I use a 30 qt turkey fryer for full boils so it can be up there close to the lip of the pot. I will get a 40 qt eventually but sitting on the edge of my seat is far more enjoyable, for now.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've moved to a keggle so that I can both brew larger beers and 10 gallon batches when I want. Plus, I was starting with around 9 gallons far too often to keep using the 10 gallon kettle.

I'd rather RDWHAHB while brewing than be "on the edge of my seat"...

Fermenting
K1: