Looking for a fix for tough cam locks - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Looking for a fix for tough cam locks

Old 05-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

I have a few camlocks that i bought a year or two ago. I'm just now getting my brew stand together. As im checking all the connections i find that the cam ears on the femal pieces are reall tough to close. There is an orange/red o-ring in the female connection. Is there a good way to help break these cam fittings in? Should i look at replacing o-ring with gasket that might be thinner or softer? I saw some replacement gaskets bargain fittings and was thinking of trying them but though I'd ask you guys first.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
fermentednonsense
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mine ended up going smoothly after I used them a few times

Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

You could change the gaskets in them for these... It's what's in all of the cam lock QD's I have. Getting them to close isn't that difficult. Sure, it's not always as easy as the ball lock style QD's I was using, but those had their own issues too.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
BargainFittings
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
Allen TX
Liked 83 Times on 74 Posts

Run the system with hot water and work the cams and practice moving hot water around.
They should loosen up after use.

The silicone o-rings compress easier than the silicone gaskets in my experience but whatever seal you use, they get easier when you have used them a few times.