Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Looking for a fix for tough cam locks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Looking for a fix for tough cam locks

I have a few camlocks that i bought a year or two ago. I'm just now getting my brew stand together. As im checking all the connections i find that the cam ears on the femal pieces are reall tough to close. There is an orange/red o-ring in the female connection. Is there a good way to help break these cam fittings in? Should i look at replacing o-ring with gasket that might be thinner or softer? I saw some replacement gaskets bargain fittings and was thinking of trying them but though I'd ask you guys first.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Mine ended up going smoothly after I used them a few times

Old 05-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
Liked 484 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You could change the gaskets in them for these... It's what's in all of the cam lock QD's I have. Getting them to close isn't that difficult. Sure, it's not always as easy as the ball lock style QD's I was using, but those had their own issues too.
Hopping Tango Brewery

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine
Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
Vendor Ads 
Liked 65 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Run the system with hot water and work the cams and practice moving hot water around.
They should loosen up after use.

The silicone o-rings compress easier than the silicone gaskets in my experience but whatever seal you use, they get easier when you have used them a few times.