Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > recliming yeast?

Old 06-27-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6017 Times on 4288 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

Yep, that's it. And have a blow off tube in place, because the fermentation will knock your airlock off and maybe your lid. I rack off all the beer that I can easily get without getting trub and/or yeast, and then dump the new wort on.

As was mentioned earlier, you're better off going from a small beer to a big beer (so you basically have a massive starter) or from a lighter to darker/heavier beer. I would easily put a stout on an English brown ale for example, but not a cream ale on a double IPA yeast cake.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #12
uglygoat

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i think the make a starter and split is is the way to go if you can ensure sanition etc.

personally i just use the cake two to three times, starting first with a session gravity, and working my way up. i'm usually done drinking the session batch before the third heavy batch is even out of secondary.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM   #13
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am an enthusiast for experimentation! I have stumbled on some great brews by pitching up to 6 beers in the same primary. I have left up to 2 gallons in with the yeast to mix with the new wort so that I get two similar, and yet very different beers to compare.
There are no rules to it, and I feel that the already fermented beer left in a primary with the yeast is a very inhospitable place for infection. I mention this because new brewers have a typically narrow view of sanitation. It is crucial, but it is not such a delicate thing that adding properly boiled wort to a beer at any stage of fermentation should be reason for concern. I think that this fear of infection is the reason more brewers don't do this!
Also on topic(in my opinion) is adding more wort to an already fermenting brew. I do this with great success, the only downside is no way to precisely calculate the ABV. (Or rather the OG). Sorry to be so wordy, but I feel compelled to share!
The common thread here is that adding wort to the yeast cake is OK, so what is an already fermented brew but a huge yeast cake? The last beer I brewed was actually the 6th that I spoke of on the same yeast cake. The brew fermented so fast that I was not quite ready to bottle, so I boiled another gallon of wort(very concentrated) cooled it and put it in.(I called this batch the MUTT, because it had 5 fathers-the previous batches- I took no OG reading, and I used some ingredients that would make most serious brewers cringe) I cracked one open last night and it was delicious. Adding wort after fermentation has been PROVEN to push the yeast beyond their advertised limits. The yeast had no problem pushing out a high gravity brew on the 6th batch(and this batch was nearly free with the ingredients I used and the highly concentrated wort left from the previous batches) good luck!

Old 06-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
cpbergie
Recipes 

How would you suggest splitting a starter and storing it for say about 2 months?

Does this sound resonable?
Just make a starter, and after 48 hours or so, split the batch by pouring them into bottles and capping them. Then storing them in the refrigerator?

Then just make a new starter when ready to use them?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #15
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbergie
How would you suggest splitting a starter and storing it for say about 2 months?

Does this sound resonable?
Just make a starter, and after 48 hours or so, split the batch by pouring them into bottles and capping them. Then storing them in the refrigerator?

Then just make a new starter when ready to use them?
I assume that you are talking about re-claimed yeast? If so, you would have enough for two starters without doing much else to it. It would be simplest to store all of it in 1 container and then use 1/2 for the next batch, 1/2 for the subsequent batch. Fewer containers = less chance of contamination.
If you are talking about taking new yeast and making 2 starters 2 months in advance, I would not recommend it. But even if you had to, I would recommend 1 container, and make sure it is done fermenting.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #16
cpbergie
Recipes 

I actually was talking about using new yeast, it just seems easier to keep sanitized.

So maybe I can buy a vial for my next brew, create a starter, sanitize the vial and fill it up from the starter after its fermented out, then use the rest of the yeast for regular fermentation?

The saved vial should last at least a couple months in the fridge I would think.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:40 PM   #17
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbergie
I actually was talking about using new yeast, it just seems easier to keep sanitized.

So maybe I can buy a vial for my next brew, create a starter, sanitize the vial and fill it up from the starter after its fermented out, then use the rest of the yeast for regular fermentation?

The saved vial should last at least a couple months in the fridge I would think.
True, but your yeast count of half would have to be built up again for a new starter.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 PM   #18
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It sounds like you may be making this too complicated. Re-using yeast in the primary is easy and free. Scrubbing yeast and saving it.......Hmmmmm, to save 6$ a batch? I make my starter right in the carboy and pitch as many as 6 subsequent batches on it. I then throw it away and start with what I know is a clean strain the next time. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
mrb

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wash the yeast and bottle it in baby jars and keep using it. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get started, but I have NO problems so far. It's kinda odd, but I have never used a starter and never had a problem. I have a third generation CA ALE Yeast ferementing in a strong IPA right now and second generation European Ale Yeast awating an opened carbouy and a recipe. These two yeasts will be used until I get sick of washing them.

It's all about saving the cash, brewing my own and sticking it to the MAN!!!