Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > smaller cooler?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Some other members have chimed-in that it's difficult to get the foam to actually expand from just a few entry points drilled in the lid. I'm thinking cutting the top layer off of the lid, filling with foam, then replacing/caulking the lid back together is a possibility...but I use blankets and last brew might have lost 1.5* over 65 minutes.
I tried the foam - Great Stuff for Windows and Doors - it expanded inititally, then collapsed back into a liquid - ended up being useless.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
Also worth stating that the cooler lids are often just hollow plastic. Some people use expanding urethane foam ("great stuff" - cracks and gaps version) to insulate them.

I keep meaning to try that, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Yup, I did this too right from the word go. I had no trouble getting the Great Stuff to fill my whole lid. Every little bit of heat retention helps in my book!

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale