Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Bottle conditioning vs secondary

Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
Buttnsty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bottle conditioning vs secondary

I've been doing some thinking lately...
All my fermenters are full right now (I don't rack to secondary but instead just leave my brew in primary for about 3 weeks) but I'm eager to start a new batch. My question is if I bottled my beer in say... 2 weeks (of course taking a hydro reading to make sure fermentation is complete) and then leave it in the bottle for an extra week or two, is that essentially going to give me the same results as leaving it in the fermenter for another week? I don't see why there would be a difference, wouldn't the beer clear just as well in a bottle as in a secondary, or longer primary?

Old 05-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5569 Times on 4003 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

Yes, I would think that once the beer is finished, has been at FG for at least a couple of days, and is relatively clear that there wouldn't be any advantage to aging it in a fermenter vs a bottle or keg. Nothing "magical" is going to happen to condition the beer in the fermenter that wouldn't happen after packaging.

I wouldn't bottle a cloudy beer, as that would mean that more stuff would settle out in the bottle and I dislike tons of sediment in my bottle, but if the beer was clearing and finished, I don't see a disadvantage.

I normally package my beers at about day 10-14 routinely.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Stauffbier
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1033 Times on 635 Posts
Likes Given: 2750

I've recently started doing shorter primaries and going straight to the bottle. I'm even aging an Imperial Stout in the bottle instead of the secondary. So far I'm liking the results..

Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
zgo
Recipes 

I've heard that if you bottle early, instead of bulk conditioning, each bottle could condition differently since each one is an environment unto itself. Any truth in that?

Old 05-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier View Post
I've recently started doing shorter primaries and going straight to the bottle. I'm even aging an Imperial Stout in the bottle instead of the secondary. So far I'm liking the results..
Yep, I started doing the same thing a while ago as well. Get that beer in the bottle where it is safe (no light or airlocks that dry up).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgo View Post
I've heard that if you bottle early, instead of bulk conditioning, each bottle could condition differently since each one is an environment unto itself. Any truth in that?
Some truth. In the short term you may notice a few bottles that floc slower. But any differences will even out over time, I would think.

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients