Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 1st attempt at bottle harvesting - single bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar

Old 05-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #11
H22W
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim
Fermentation slower tonight. One burp every 10 seconds or so. hmm.
If it is still at 58F you might want to think about warming it up towards 70F.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I haven't checked min/max on that thermometer but i presume that it's been pretty stable at 58-59f. Which should be ok for pacman.

Right now, increasing the temperature means moving it. Or doing something weird like hooking up a blow dryer to the pid control box i built for an electric smoker.

If patience is likely to be enough, i can be patient.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimpanogosSlim View Post
I haven't checked min/max on that thermometer but i presume that it's been pretty stable at 58-59f. Which should be ok for pacman.

Right now, increasing the temperature means moving it. Or doing something weird like hooking up a blow dryer to the pid control box i built for an electric smoker.

If patience is likely to be enough, i can be patient.
Yeah, especially if that is ambient.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also I could have sworn I saw something on one of HBT's posts that indicated Pacman was a "well behaved" yeast that wouldn't really climb out of the fermenter. Which I would think might make it appear less active than other yeasts.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

That's a good point.

This is my 2nd five gallon batch. Previously i have only done 1 gallon batches.

The previous 5 gallon batch was a belgian golden strong ale with 3787 and higher OG. it kept motorboating (and stinking up the house) for like a week.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:31 AM   #16
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Interesting, how many bottles did you use to harvest? I know they say 1 bottle per gallon for harvesting but the OP made it sound like he used a single.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #17
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv6911 View Post
Interesting, how many bottles did you use to harvest? I know they say 1 bottle per gallon for harvesting but the OP made it sound like he used a single.
I've used 1 before. It just takes a little longer and a few more step-ups.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 05-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #18
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

I used one bottle. I stepped up once. I did not actually measure my initial wort, either.

It remains to be seen whether this will ultimately work out. I haven't actually looked at the fermenter in about 36 hours at this point. It may be time to switch out the blowoff for an airlock. I suppose i could take a hydrometer reading while I'm at it.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Dhruv6911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know why i asked such a silly question since you answered it in the title, it was a late night. But that's cool knowing one bottle can be sufficient to make a batch. Can you elaborate on these "step ups" and the time it took to grow enough viable yeast?

Old 05-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv6911 View Post
I don't know why i asked such a silly question since you answered it in the title, it was a late night. But that's cool knowing one bottle can be sufficient to make a batch. Can you elaborate on these "step ups" and the time it took to grow enough viable yeast?
There are a bunch of threads on harvesting Bell's yeast. I harvested from a single bottle of pale ale. My steps were:

1) 25mL @ 1.020 until little tiny krausen formed, shaking as often as possible
2) 500mL @ 1.030 "
3) 1.6L @ 1.040 on stir plate

Took somewhere between 10-14 days. First step takes the longest. The mor bottles of dregs you use, the better.