Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > UK Hops Advice?

Old 05-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Default UK Hops Advice?

Here's my situation: I am starting to get very much into recipes and such. I've spent some time with Beersmith, done tons of reading, and I think I have a pretty good knowledge of how the various "moving parts" relate to one another.

I've taken a tried and true recipe for an American red ale (Malticuloous' Mojave Red) and am trying to "Irish" it up by swapping out the base grain with Maris Otter, the yeast with a liquid Irish strain, and the hops with UK varieties (I'm also killing the dry hop step).

The sheer numbers make me think that I'm on the right track; this will be a bit bigger than a normal Irish red, but that's fine by me. The gravity/hop ratio is tilted slightly towards the malt end, so I think that I'm good there.

However, I am still very much of a roookie, and I have limited real world experience with how different hops are perceived. I am aware that AA% doesn't tell the whole story.

I am using the following:

1 oz Challenger at 60 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles at 20 minutes
.5 oz Northdown at 10 minutes

What does HBT think about these choices? I've read the descriptions of the different hops, but the only one I've personally used is Fuggles (kind of earthy, woody to me).

What are your favorite UK hops, and why?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Andrew5329
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Take a trip into your LHBS and examine the different types of hops in person. I can write a 5 page paper describing the taste and aroma of Cascade hops but unless you physically smell/taste it in person it wont really mean anything to you.

(you can do the same thing with grains if/when you transition to all/partial mash brewing. Any self-respecting LHBS will let you inspect the product before you go buy a bunch of it.)

Old 05-04-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
homebrewdad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Thaks for the input... but I really did ask for opinions, not definitives.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've found that this year a lot of my standard hops have become hard to come by, and or prohibitively expensive. As a result I have been modifying my recipes and using other hops.

I found this Hop Varieties handbook from Hop Union to be helpful.

I'm not a big fan of fuggle, East Kent Golding's is a good aroma/flavor hop I like to use. Target is a great bitering hop.

I've got a batch of eIPA made with Pilgrim and phoenix but I have not racked it yet so I can't tell you much