Mash out?? but why??? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mash out?? but why???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
lonelynoose
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
beltsville, md
Posts: 8


Ok... so do you really need to do a Mash Out??? Everything I read tells me something different.
__________________
Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working . ~Harold Rudolph
Primary:Belgian Abbey, Belgian Dubbel
Secondary:Fin du Monde Clone, Farmhouse Ale, Belgian Abbey, Cyser
Bottled: Wheat Brackett, OSH Clone, English IPA, IPA, Murphy's Clone, Fin Du Monde Clone, Bass Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


I do a mash out with a fly sparge by adding boiling water, stirring really well, and waiting 15 minutes before starting the sparge. I wouldn't do it if I were batch sparging as you get exactly the same results by adding and stirring the sparge water.
The reasons I mash out are:
  1. It increases my efficiency by 10%
  2. My efficiency with a mash out is more consistent than without
  3. It helps to prevent stuck sparges (I do a very thick mash usually)
I don't do it to denature the enzymes.


-a.
__________________
There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts


Agreed with the above.

A mashout does two things, neither of which offer much benefit for batch spargers:
  • Denature enzymes to "lock in" your sugar profile
  • Sugar solubility increases with temp - so more sugar can be dissolved.

With batch sparging, most people stick their first runnings on the boil right away, and you're done within 10 mins, so the denaturing already happens pretty quick, thus a "mashout" is unnecessary. With fly sparging, where you may sparge over an hour or so, it matters more.

The effect of the sugar solubility on efficiency is small (negligible, even), and generally not worth the effort to calculate.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
BigEd
Recipes 
 
Nov 2004
Posts: 2,617
Liked 203 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelynoose View Post
Ok... so do you really need to do a Mash Out??? Everything I read tells me something different.

Please specify what sources you are reading. The mash out can be skipped and the beer will be fine. However, as ajf points out it will add some positives to the process.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 160 Times on 150 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Please specify what sources you are reading. The mash out can be skipped and the beer will be fine. However, as ajf points out it will add some positives to the process.
do a google search for "is a mash out necessary?" and you will get any number of sources. i never mash out and if there is an increase in efficiency to be had i certainly don't notice or miss it. on the homebrewing level i don't this there is a right or wrong answer to mashing out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
malkore
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts


Just another example of "ask 10 brewers a question and you'll get at least 9 different answers"

There's a ton of correct ways to make beer. Probably more 'right' ways than 'wrong' ways in fact.

If it tastes good you did it right. Educating yourself is great, but don't let some of the debate spin your head either. If there is a debate it usually means both sides are valid but don't want to concede to the other.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
BrewinHooligan
 
BrewinHooligan's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Mesa, AZ
Posts: 5,176
Liked 1776 Times on 1191 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore View Post
Just another example of "ask 10 brewers a question and you'll get at least 9 different answers"

There's a ton of correct ways to make beer. Probably more 'right' ways than 'wrong' ways in fact.

If it tastes good you did it right. Educating yourself is great, but don't let some of the debate spin your head either. If there is a debate it usually means both sides are valid but don't want to concede to the other.
+1, I have a buddy who swears mashing out adds about 3% efficiency on his system and he batch sparges. I don't mash out and I batch sparge with 180F water which basically does the same thing as a mashout without the extra step and get slightly higher efficiency than he does. The key is to find what works for you and be consistent with it.
__________________
No yeast, no beer. No beer, no civilization. Therefore, we really have yeast to thank for all our modern-day conveniences and tasty beer

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
JJL
 
JJL's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
, WI
Posts: 1,287
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts


malkore is right. There are a ton of debates in homebrewing about which is better, this or that? The truth of the matter is that both sides that are being debated work just fine in most cases. My advice is to try a mash out on one batch and then try no mash out on the next, or vice versa. See what works better for you on your system. Because discussing the benefits of either in the abstract will just give you a bunch more sources of conflicting information. Both techniques work. You need to decide which works better for you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
BBL_Brewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Kokomo, IN
Posts: 3,702
Liked 440 Times on 303 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JJL View Post
malkore is right. There are a ton of debates in homebrewing about which is better, this or that? The truth of the matter is that both sides that are being debated work just fine in most cases. My advice is to try a mash out on one batch and then try no mash out on the next, or vice versa. See what works better for you on your system. Because discussing the benefits of either in the abstract will just give you a bunch more sources of conflicting information. Both techniques work. You need to decide which works better for you.
+1 Experience is the best teacher.
__________________
Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.


Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 556 Times on 391 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
+1 Experience is the best teacher.
Both your own and that of others, hence, a forum. My hesitation with relying too much on my own experience is that the sample size is far too small to be conclusive. Forums like this increase sample size, even if it is still mostly anecdotal evidence.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Mash, Partial Mash and Steeping Specialty Grains Daparish Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 32 04-11-2013 10:03 PM
First Partial Mash Today.. Instructions say 2.25 qt/lb mash water? DonutMuncher Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-13-2012 06:39 PM
Reduce mash water to accommodate mash tun size iverasp Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 03-09-2012 02:43 PM
Noob Mash/sparge questions (partial mash) billpa Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 08-03-2011 06:41 PM
Mini-mash in cooler mash tun stuck dmako Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 12-31-2008 11:39 PM


Forum Jump