is a dip tube worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottvin

Reaction score
I currently have a weldless coupler installed in my brew pot but I generally leave quite a bit of wort when its done draining.

Do people generally use a dip tube or just leave the last little bits in the kettle? I use a hop bag to limit the amount of excess hop junk in the kettle.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

12diptube.png

It really just depends on your setup and how high the drain is. Some people get by with just a 90* Elbow. When I tried that I didn't have enough suction or something, kept leaving too much behind. Diptube helped me. I didn't want to tip since I do a nice whirlpool.

If it's for a flat bottom pot, the cheap way out is to thread a street elbow in with the opening facing down. If you need a little more drop (like if the bulkhead was put in a little high), you can go close nipple first, then street elbow with the male side facing down.

That's a huge savings over the compression fitting version. I'm a horrible salesman.

I purposely leave a gallon behind in my kettle so the hops and most of the break stays out of the fermenter. You just have to account for the kettle loss when creating your recipes. A couple bucks extra is worth it to me.

It's kind of up to you and what kind of set up you have. I'm with Bobby, the street elbow is the cheapest route. It also gives you a wider opening with better flow if you use a pump. With any dip tube though, you are going to have a little wort left in the kettle especially if you don't tip. I keep my dip tube about a quarter inch from the bottom and tip at the end. I even use a potatoe masher to sqeeze out as much wort as I can from the whole leaf hops. Between the dip tube filter and the filter effect of the whole leaf hops, I don't end up with much trub in the fermenter and only end up with enough wort left over to fill my hydrometer tube a couple times.

Back