Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > is a dip tube worth it?
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default is a dip tube worth it?

I currently have a weldless coupler installed in my brew pot but I generally leave quite a bit of wort when its done draining.

Do people generally use a dip tube or just leave the last little bits in the kettle? I use a hop bag to limit the amount of excess hop junk in the kettle.

Any and all ideas are welcome!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
more hops better good
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 635 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 721

It really just depends on your setup and how high the drain is. Some people get by with just a 90* Elbow. When I tried that I didn't have enough suction or something, kept leaving too much behind. Diptube helped me. I didn't want to tip since I do a nice whirlpool.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #3
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Liked 1399 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If it's for a flat bottom pot, the cheap way out is to thread a street elbow in with the opening facing down. If you need a little more drop (like if the bulkhead was put in a little high), you can go close nipple first, then street elbow with the male side facing down.

That's a huge savings over the compression fitting version. I'm a horrible salesman.
Welcome to I love you.
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I purposely leave a gallon behind in my kettle so the hops and most of the break stays out of the fermenter. You just have to account for the kettle loss when creating your recipes. A couple bucks extra is worth it to me.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #5
Liked 122 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post

That's a huge savings over the compression fitting version. I'm a horrible salesman.
Haha, you are honest though!
Ferm Chamber on top of Keezer / Through Wall / All in One Build

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Liked 437 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 323

It's kind of up to you and what kind of set up you have. I'm with Bobby, the street elbow is the cheapest route. It also gives you a wider opening with better flow if you use a pump. With any dip tube though, you are going to have a little wort left in the kettle especially if you don't tip. I keep my dip tube about a quarter inch from the bottom and tip at the end. I even use a potatoe masher to sqeeze out as much wort as I can from the whole leaf hops. Between the dip tube filter and the filter effect of the whole leaf hops, I don't end up with much trub in the fermenter and only end up with enough wort left over to fill my hydrometer tube a couple times.

Slots Down Brewery
Stick with the plan....not the sparge.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.