BIAB/no sparge Tannins/bits - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB/no sparge Tannins/bits

Old 05-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Madison, WI
Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Wow I never thought of that. Of course. Decoction brewers purposely boil thick mashes with no issues. Mind totally at ease. Thanks.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Concord, MA
Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i filter my BIAB liquor before it goes into the boil pot. i use a fine hand-held strainer (walmart, $7) into my funnel which has an even finer-mesh strainer. a slight pain but it does a good job. the stuff i filter out is quite fine, "malt dust" really. my bag does a solid job of holding stuff in, i've done batches without the filtering and everything settled out fine.
If all that fine stuff filters out, how do you keep it from clogging your filter? I pour my wort into the fermenter through a paint strainer bag, but it does clog.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 952 Times on 694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyrnaquince View Post
If all that fine stuff filters out, how do you keep it from clogging your filter? I pour my wort into the fermenter through a paint strainer bag, but it does clog.
oh it clogs. i have to stop pouring a few times during the filtering process, use a spoon to suspend/push aside the solids, dump them out, and start pouring again. i typically have to stop 5-7 times during a 5-gal batch.

like i said, it's a slight pain but i don't really mind. i've also said that this is probably an example of me going overboard. the stuff will settle out, and i doubt that the pH of my wort is so far off that tannin extraction is a threat.
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Chris7687
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Hey guys, I was using paint strainer bags as my BIAB and was getting alot of this trub, but now I made my own bags out of this very fine voile and I have seen a drastic reduction in the bits of junk at the bottom of my kettle now. I am still getting 75-80% efficiency too. Just kegged a 6% Pale Ale I made last month.