Growing Hops is a great idea if you dont want Aphids in your beer!! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Hops is a great idea if you dont want Aphids in your beer!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #1
Wulfman
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Sacramento, CA
Posts: 305
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts



Heres a link i read about bugs in foods, read the section about Aphids. Its reads "The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops" WOW!!:


http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatt...w-youre-eating

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
JMass
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Posts: 230
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Aren't there aphids on home-grown hops?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Spartan1979
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Spartan1979's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
O'Fallon, MO
Posts: 1,675
Liked 227 Times on 154 Posts


We're going start needing an Alpha Aphids value with our hops.

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Posts: 3,952
Liked 553 Times on 389 Posts


Whirlfloc should take care of them.

csboehm Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #5
brewingmeister
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
middle of nowhere
Posts: 1,910
Liked 183 Times on 136 Posts


At 2500 per 10 grams wouldn't that be more aphid than hop? The FDA also allows a certain level of fecal matter in and on food as well...better stop eating.
__________________
............Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer......~Homer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 365
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfman View Post
Heres a link i read about bugs in foods, read the section about Aphids. Its reads "The FDA legally allows 2,500 aphids for every 10 grams of hops" WOW!!:


http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatt...w-youre-eating
An aphid is between 500μg and 1mg. That means you're getting 1.25g and 2.5g of aphid per 10g of hops. That is the live weight though and I'm assuming the 10g of hops is dried. So, if you assume an aphid is about 75% water (like most living animals) and is lowered to 10% water content which is about the water content of dried hops, you're looking at 4375mg to 8750mg per 10g so .... approximately 4% - 9% of your dried hops is probably bugs.

Gross.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts


Do aphids add bitterness?

Wait......

Weevils in the grain, aphids on the hops, you could make a 2 bugged brown IPA.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
dbhokie
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Lynchburg, Virginia
Posts: 407
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
An aphid is between 500μg and 1mg. That means you're getting 1.25g and 2.5g of aphid per 10g of hops. That is the live weight though and I'm assuming the 10g of hops is dried. So, if you assume an aphid is about 75% water (like most living animals) and is lowered to 10% water content which is about the water content of dried hops, you're looking at 4375mg to 8750mg per 10g so .... approximately 4% - 9% of your dried hops is probably bugs.

Gross.
I wouldn't say is probably, but could possibly be up to. You eat a lot of bugs every day whether homegrown or store-bought. Just not aware. You eat a lot of crap and too, and one of the best fertilizers out there is crap. It didn't hurt you to eat your food after you dropped it when you were a kid, and it generally isn't going to do a thing now either.
__________________
On Deck
Abbey Ale #2
Rye Imperial Pale Ale
Primary
20 Gallons of Apple Cider
Secondary
Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter
Conditioning (Bottle)
---So Sad

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
uberg33k
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Posts: 365
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhokie View Post
I wouldn't say is probably, but could possibly be up to. You eat a lot of bugs every day whether homegrown or store-bought. Just not aware. You eat a lot of crap and too, and one of the best fertilizers out there is crap. It didn't hurt you to eat your food after you dropped it when you were a kid, and it generally isn't going to do a thing now either.
Oh, I realize there are lots of bugs/poop that are permissible in food and we're consuming it all the time. It's just a bit gross to actually crunch the numbers and realize how much that actually is. Unfortunately, bugs and poop are not the grossest things you find in processed food.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Crito
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
H-Town, TX
Posts: 515
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts


better then pesticides in the hops.

Did u see the news on what is happening to people in places like china that throws hormones and pesticides in the veggies without xare to the final products.

Its a double edge sword.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F#$% Growing hops, BREED HOPS! FishinDave07 Hops Growing 34 05-28-2014 10:50 PM
Aphids in harvested hops nickwin Hops Growing 9 09-25-2011 03:07 AM
Hops with Aphids NorthRiverS Hops Growing 6 07-26-2011 06:47 PM
Growing Hops and Grain for Beer Mygrain Hops Growing 17 08-17-2010 04:13 PM
Growing hops! Nightbiker Hops Growing 14 04-01-2009 03:37 PM


Forum Jump