Dry hop a milk stout? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry hop a milk stout?

Old 05-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
amd133mhz
Recipes 

Jan 2012
NE, Oh
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hello all!

I was wondering if I could gather some opinions about dry hopping a milk stout.

I forgot to add my aroma hops after my boil ,so it just has a 1/2 oz of bittering hops. Its already in primary bubbling away and I am thinking about leaving the beer as is,no aroma hops and just using this a comparison for the next time I create this recipe,where I will remember to add them and see if I taste a huge difference.

However a thought occurred that I might be able to go for something even more unique then No aroma hops but to dry this milk stout. I have read that dry hopping is more typical for ipa's lagers but I have not really seen a whole lot of it going on in the stout world so I was wondering:

Would You dry hop a milk stout with a 1/2 oz of aroma hops?
How would you recommend it be done?

Thank you!

Willemette Aroma hops alpha acid 6% btw
cheers!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
yancydc
Recipes 

Mar 2011
Washington, District of Columbia
Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

You certainly could, but you may not like how it works out. Take a taste of your beer after a few weeks and see if you like it, and then think about how a hop aroma would affect it. If it's a nice, creamy, roasty flavor (as a milk stout should be), I think you should let it be. 1/2 oz of willamette won't do that much anyway.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Pie_Man

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Gainesville, FL
Liked 138 Times on 130 Posts

Many stouts don't have an aroma and flavor hop additions. If the beer is well balanced and tastes good as is, I say to leave it alone and enjoy what you have.