Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Trying to switch over from extract to all grain, could I get a hand?

Old 05-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #31
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Get bigger than you think you need. Better to be under capacity than over. I have an 8g. BK and I wish it was larger for 5g. batches. If I went to 10g. batches I'd look for something north of 16g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #32
watersr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

You can do it pretty cheap. I got a 5 gal round cooler for free, then upgraded to a 10 gal cooler I found at a yard sale for $3. I use a turkey fryer with a 32qt aluminum pot I bought from craigslist for $25. I built the spout and bazooka style strainer for my cooler MLT for about $20. The most expensive item I had to get was a Copper IC that I paid $50 shipped for. That's all I really need to brew my beer. Of course like any good home brewer I did not stop there. After scouring these forums I built a fermentation chamber using a $30 craigslist mini fridge and some sheet insulation. Then I found an el cheapo kegerator on CL for $100 and jumped into kegging. Finally I built a DIY stir plate using parts I had on hand and a flask and started harvesting yeast and building starters up from previous batches to save money on smack packs. I am by no means finished with this dynamic process but I have found ways to do every step on the cheap by reading hours and hours worth of priceless wisdom on this forum and scouring resources such as eBay, craigslist and the classifieds on this forum to find great deals. Good luck on your journey, you won't be disappointed.