Brewing with Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am brewing a Brett on Thursday. Since it's a "wild" yeast, should I keep it separate from all my regular equipment and keep everything relating to this beer on a "private equipment island" of sorts?

Thanks!

I would.

I plan on using some soon. I have a 2.5 gallon SS fire extinguisher for a fermenter. That way I can bake it and kill EVERYTHING if this experiment produces beer I hate.

Not sure what to do about bottling bucket though... I might have to buy a new one.

I dont think theres a need for separate equipment. Obviously, its safer, but I re-use all the same equipment and have yet to have a cross-contamination issue in the 1+ years ive been using brett. A long soak in hot PBW then star san should do the trick if you're worried.

I realize this thread is a week old, but just brewed my first all brett beer and was wondering what other people think about this? I'm planning to brew some sours and have come to the conclusion that unless I want to get 3 separate sets of equipment (sacc, brett, bugs/sour) I'm leaning towards keeping the Brett and Sacc stuff the same. Seems like Brett is pretty easily killed by StarSan and too big to take up residence in plastics/hoses/etc like a bacteria would be - but maybe I'm wrong?

Back