Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sour beer (vinegar taste)

Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
maclaren
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Sour beer (vinegar taste)

I just cracked open a bottle of a beer I recently brewed and is has a very sour, almost vinegar like taste to it. Any ideas?

Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #2
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaren
I just cracked open a bottle of a beer I recently brewed and is has a very sour, almost vinegar like taste to it. Any ideas?
It's infected. You made beer vinegar. Sadly nothing you can do to fix it. I would review where in your processes you might have got it and replace everything plastic used from that step forward. Give everything else a nice scrub and boil if possible otherwise sanitize.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
MaynardX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would bleach everything, then rinse really well, then then wash it again with oxyclean or pbw, then sanitize.
Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
maclaren
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So should I look into buying a glass carboy rather than using a plastic fermenting bucket?

Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaren View Post
So should I look into buying a glass carboy rather than using a plastic fermenting bucket?
no, unless you really want to use glass.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #6
kwingert
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Instead of glass, look into better bottles. And don't bleach your stuff it doesn't work as well as people think. Go to the brewing network and look up Brewstrong's episodes on sanitation and cleaning. You'll get a good idea of how to clean you stuff.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #7
barneygumble
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

The infection may be limited to a bad bottle. Open another. If it too smells like vinegar and tastes sour odds are the infection is widespread in the batch.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #8
Qhrumphf
Spirit of '69
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2271 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 970

I've never had an acetobacter infection, but from what I understand, it doesn't like an anaerobic environment, but if you accidentally oxidized (when racking or something like that) the added oxygen can make it take off like a rocket.
Casked: (nothing)
Bottle Cellar: Brett B Tripel, Brett C English Barleywine, Lamebic, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C Bitter, Wild Cider, Winter Warmer, Bourbon Barrel Sour Stout

Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #9
maclaren
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwingert View Post
Instead of glass, look into better bottles. And don't bleach your stuff it doesn't work as well as people think. Go to the brewing network and look up Brewstrong's episodes on sanitation and cleaning. You'll get a good idea of how to clean you stuff.
I just re-used bottles from microbreweries, but I made sure to clean them in Iodophor solution before bottling. Looking back I noticed a few other mistakes that I will be sure to avoid on my next batch.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Draken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclaren

I just re-used bottles from microbreweries, but I made sure to clean them in Iodophor solution before bottling. Looking back I noticed a few other mistakes that I will be sure to avoid on my next batch.
The key is are all the bottles infected or just some?