Arg!!!!! Hops clogging a very good IPA! - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Arg!!!!! Hops clogging a very good IPA!
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Old 04-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So I did something very stupid. I had heard of people dry hopping in the keg when they ran out of time and didn't get to do a secondary. So I thought what the hell and went for it. Two weeks later, I went to pour and, pfzzzzth. A little foam and then nothing with the tube full of hops. Dumb. Ass. So, I let it settle for a couple weeks thinking, well, Ill just rack to a new keg. Did this last night and poured one beer. It's GREAT! I just went to pour myself another beer and pfzzzzth. A little foam and the tube full of hops yet again. I thought I had gotten all of them but apparently not. I'm NOT going to re-rack this stupid thing every time I want a beer. Anyone got any suggestions besides throwing away the batch? Ill be really upset because I just tossed a batch of stout and a keg because it got full of some kind of mold....and it smelled like rubber. ARGGGGGG!!! Help!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 28

did you use leaf or pellet? Maybe take the stem out, put a scrubbie on the end, and put it back? If you're going to do this more often you may want to shorten the stem a bit as well.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

How careful were you when you racked it to the second keg? If the keg was cold for those two weeks, all the hops should've theoretically dropped out of suspension.
Lagering: Vienna Lager

Old 04-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Get a dip tube screen.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had the same problem with a pale ale I kegged - I had dry hopped in secondary but had a problem racking to the keg and ended up with quite a bit of pellet hop residue in the keg. I had to rig up my CO2 line to a beer out disconnect, then backflush the keg dip tube to get the flow restarted. After doing this 3 or 4 times, I got most of the hop residue out and the rest of it cleared without clogging again within the next 4 or 5 pints.
Note - before connecting to the keg, vent the keg pressure to avoid getting beer into your regulator.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
Skrimpy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129
did you use leaf or pellet? Maybe take the stem out, put a scrubbie on the end, and put it back? If you're going to do this more often you may want to shorten the stem a bit as well.
It was pellet. The second I dropped it in, I thought, "Oh crap, I should have put that in a sock.". Lesson learned. Ive got a biab sack I'm going to boil and put over the end of my autosiphon then try to rack again. Then I guess Ill try one of those dip tube hop screens next. I know one thing for sure though. Never going to do that again.