Gas and Gas lines on Brew Rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletchsj

Reaction score
I wanted to post this because with all my searching all I ever found was people using black pipe, copper, or those ugly yellow flex appliance lines for their rigs. (no offense intended to those who have used these methods) I wanted something more like what you would find on a commercial BBQ. I searched and asked and searched some more... and short of the RV camping supply store and a few spots on the web I couldn't find what I was looking for. And, even those options I was stuck with weird lengths and the wrong fittings on the end.

So I finally came to the idea to go to my local gas supply store. I went initially to ask about purchasing a large 40lb tank and see what they charged for gas. What I left with was custom made lines for my brew rig! They cut custom length lines for me and fit them with fittings that I chose. (they had any size and I could ever need!) I was so happy and took back all the black pipe I had bought as this solution solved every issue I had. (flare to pipe converters, being able to adjust the height of burners without replumbing, turning corners, etc) not only that but it was CHEAP!!! I got out of there for a fraction of what I would have paid to fully plumb my rig. so check it out if you are looking for an inexpensive alternative!

In addition I found a neat way to get around buying a new, large tank to feed my BG14's. after some research I went back to the propane shop and got a unit made up that cost me 8.50... it is a splitter of sorts that basically hooks to 2 or 3 20lb tanks and uses them as 1 big tank. Those 20lbers are more readily available to fill and exchange than the big guys and I already have 5 of them. So, it is certainly work taking a look at.

Anyway, a couple of things I thought might interest us DIY Home brewers. :mug:

here's a pic when I'm still mocking it up. Still working on the final fit and finish aspects.

FxCam_1335480961790.jpg

Nice thing about the appliance hose for me is that it is rigid but can flex, so however I shape it, it will say that way.

I totally understand that. I just was posting because this is a cheap and for me anyway, user friendly option that I hadn't seen talked about. It was important for me too cause I wanted a moveable cart for my kettle. My idea to make an ambidextrous brewing sequence.

fletchsj said:
I totally understand that. I just was posting because this is a cheap and for me anyway, user friendly option that I hadn't seen talked about. It was important for me too cause I wanted a moveable cart for my kettle. My idea to make an ambidextrous brewing sequence.

They look like they work really well in your setup, nice find!

fletchsj said:
here's a pic when I'm still mocking it up. Still working on the final fit and finish aspects.

Are those Blickmann Burners? If so, how did you "hang" them from your rig?

Are those Blickmann Burners? If so, how did you "hang" them from your rig?

So they are not "blichman" brand. Both Blichman and Bayou classic use the same burners. It is the orifices and the lack of heat shield that separate the two. They are Bayou classic BG14's with heat ducting used as heat shields. I used galvanized strap material, and blots/washers to hang them. The shields works well but aren't the prettiest things out there. :) I follow the 50/50 rule. If it looks good from 50 feet or 50 mph it works for me :)

We make them custom length to order.

YES THEY DO!

I got mine middle of last week (hadn't had a chance yet to thank you so I will here) and they are great!

I have NPT on 1 side, Flare on the other and NPT of 1 size to NPT of another size, custom length all crimped ends etc...

Great Lines, exactly as I requested and turn around in a week or so (because they had to special order some ends they didn't have in stock)!!!

Thanks

Kurt!

The hose fletchsj is using is specifically for propane. It's stamped CGA 350PSI LP gas or something similar.
We make them custom length to order.

Get that word out! lol these are awesome! and yes they are exactly stamped with that. You should really market a 2 bottle splitter as well :) basically turns 2 bbq bottles into 1. I'd imagine there would be a big market for those considering the cost of a 10gal/40lb tank. can't cost much more that 5.00 to make and I'd have paid 30 before i knew to have one made. :)

Back