Pine Flavored Hops - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pine Flavored Hops

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
JonM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Milwaukee
Posts: 8,040
Liked 2988 Times on 1732 Posts


I've heard, but can't say from my own experience, that a combination of chinook and cascade is really piney and really good.
__________________
Who is this Rorschach guy? And why did he paint so many pictures of my parents fighting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
ILBMF
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Northern Harford County, Maryland
Posts: 248
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I want to stick with hops only. I'm leaning to using a cascade chinook mix. I have used cascade and want to try to keep the cohumulone percentages down too. They are both a bit high in that respect. Northern brewer has lower cohumulone % which I haven't tried yet.

Simcoe, my all time favorite doesn't do pine for me. I get lots of grapefruit, peachy, cat piss notes from simcoe.

What do you guys taste in a good batch of Nugget Nectar??? This years batch was pure $hit...I'm talking about a batch like last year's.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Calichusetts
 
Calichusetts's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Plymouth, MA
Posts: 3,015
Liked 501 Times on 301 Posts


Harpoon does a Spruce tip ale with chinook that is simply lights out

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
Grantman1
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Posts: 397
Liked 46 Times on 29 Posts


I just dry hopped my last IPA with only Chinook and cascade, hoping for some good piney aroma. Its finishing right now, will let you know how it turns out .

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 26,609
Liked 7035 Times on 4167 Posts


chinook. I'm sipping a all-chinook rye IIPA right now.
__________________
- Andrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,395
Liked 5019 Times on 3389 Posts


Chinnok and Simcoe, although I made a Chinook SMaSH not long ago and I didn't get as much pine resin flavor and aroma as I would have liked.

And I've had a spruce ale from Alaskan Brewing that was great! not at all what I expected, but delicious.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Bamsdealer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Collegeville, Pa
Posts: 911
Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
I want to stick with hops only. I'm leaning to using a cascade chinook mix. I have used cascade and want to try to keep the cohumulone percentages down too. They are both a bit high in that respect. Northern brewer has lower cohumulone % which I haven't tried yet.

Simcoe, my all time favorite doesn't do pine for me. I get lots of grapefruit, peachy, cat piss notes from simcoe.

What do you guys taste in a good batch of Nugget Nectar??? This years batch was pure $hit...I'm talking about a batch like last year's.
My second case of nugget was subpar... It had a march date on it. The first was everything I remembered from years past and was bottled in feb. I don't know exactly what I taste in nugget, but it's an amazing balance of hop flavor and aroma from beginning to end with just the right amount of malt sweetness to balance out the brew. One of my all time favorites.

Troegs just moved their brewery which might be responsible for their inconsistency this year.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
Bamsdealer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Collegeville, Pa
Posts: 911
Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBanana View Post
I wouldn't put pine resin in beer. Pine needles however is a different story. Fresh spruce tips would be a nice addition to the right beer. I can't recall the name but there's a brewery in Alaska that makes a spruce beer.

You could also use some juniper berries.
Philadelphia brewing co does a spruce beer and uses pine needles. Havent had the chance to try it but a friend of mine said it was good. I recall him saying that they may have completely replaced all hops with pine, but I could be wrong. Not a fan of their brews but this is one I'd like to try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
ktblunden
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
ktblunden's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,973
Liked 340 Times on 208 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBanana View Post
I can't recall the name but there's a brewery in Alaska that makes a spruce beer.
Alaskan Brewing

FYI, if you ever visit Juneau it's well worth the trip to the brewery. They don't have a "tour" so to speak, but they do tell you the history of the company and the brewery and let you taste pretty much whatever you want.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #20
ILBMF
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Northern Harford County, Maryland
Posts: 248
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
My second case of nugget was subpar... It had a march date on it. The first was everything I remembered from years past and was bottled in feb. I don't know exactly what I taste in nugget, but it's an amazing balance of hop flavor and aroma from beginning to end with just the right amount of malt sweetness to balance out the brew. One of my all time favorites.

Troegs just moved their brewery which might be responsible for their inconsistency this year.
Yes, I plan to visit the new brewery soon. It seems that Troegs Nugget Nectar suffers every other year or so. It was way too bitter with no sweet hop notes a couple of years ago. I was thinking the new facility may be the culprit, but how bad can you screw up a beer in a great recipe using a new German system that's sanitary and state of the art? I think they are having trouble getting the hop varieties or the quality of the hops was off.

I think you guys have convinced me to do an all Chinook dry hop or maybe mostly Chinook for the pine like notes. I do remember using Chinook once and was pleased with the smell of the hops in the bag.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aphid flavored beer...mmm..mmm sapperxl General Beer Discussion 3 04-12-2012 02:01 PM
Tired of pine taste RatCity General Beer Discussion 15 03-25-2012 10:16 PM
Fresh hops or dead hops? Gonzo General Beer Discussion 4 09-10-2011 08:28 PM
Storing Hops from hops direct Steven4est General Beer Discussion 13 10-17-2010 12:24 PM
Pine nut brew? duskb General Beer Discussion 15 07-14-2009 04:20 AM


Forum Jump