Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Raisins?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
cacaca86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raisins?

What does addng raisins do for flavor? When can they be added and how mcuh would one use for 1 gallon. Also curious im only 1.5 weeks in primary process... Can i let it go in primary for more than 2 wks despite the simple recipe said 2 wks then rack in secondary for another 2 wks. I was thinking of letting it go in primary for atleast 4 wks.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think when people add raisins, they are doing it more as a natural yeast nutrient, and not as a flavor enhancer.

"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23
Jkovalik Likes This 
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1840 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

I've added as much as 4lbs of raisins to a 6 gallon batch of cider, they don't really add any flavour that I could detect, but they DO add a bit more sugar (not certain how much, I never calculated it) & a bit of body to a cider or even a non-grape wine.

I always do a freeze/thaw & run them through a food processor before adding to primary. They do work, but I think the raisin addition would be noticable more by their absence rather than by their presence; unless you use too few or too much.
Regards, GF.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #4
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio
I've added as much as 4lbs of raisins to a 6 gallon batch of cider, they don't really add any flavour that I could detect, but they DO add a bit more sugar (not certain how much, I never calculated it) & a bit of body to a cider or even a non-grape wine.

I always do a freeze/thaw & run them through a food processor before adding to primary. They do work, but I think the raisin addition would be noticable more by their absence rather than by their presence; unless you use too few or too much.
Regards, GF.
I used a 48 oz bag of Craisin's. Ran em thru the food processor and they totally changed the flavor of 5 gal of apple cider.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
cacaca86
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKF

I used a 48 oz bag of Craisin's. Ran em thru the food processor and they totally changed the flavor of 5 gal of apple cider.
Sounds good, did it sweeten it? What point did you add them? Primary! Secondary?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
MarkKF
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 42 Posts

I did in the secondary. Will try primary next time. Added sugar but not sweetness. Prob just increased ABV.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
tkbywater
Recipes 

I added raisins to a batch of cider. added them to the primary, they are all floating, should I wait for them to sink before racking to the secondary? and will this even happen?

@MarkkE the Crasins idea sounds really yum.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbywater View Post
I added raisins to a batch of cider. added them to the primary, they are all floating, should I wait for them to sink before racking to the secondary? and will this even happen?

@MarkkE the Crasins idea sounds really yum.
Done this with wine. They don't sink.