Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Recipe for a bargain beer that will knock your socks off (From a kit)

Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
rhinofarts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Recipe for a bargain beer that will knock your socks off (From a kit)

I am looking for a recipe for a medium quality lager, that is high in alcohol and high in giving the drinker 'double vision'.
I was thinking 1 KG table sugar (Cheaper than Brewing Sugar, ferments fully?) and 1 KG medium spray malt, but the malt is expensive (More than I want to pay for this batch), and is that really a good mix?

Anyone got suggestions for my new 'loopy juice' beer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unbranded-bargain-brew-pilsner.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	59287  

Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 879 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Why not just go to the liquor store and buy grain alcohol.

I brew for style and taste not alcohol level.

Another troll post?

If not buy a good high gravity kit. Are you set up to do lagers. They take specific low temperatures that have to be relatively strictly controlled.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
rhinofarts
Recipes 

Hi, I don't drink spirits. I am looking for a beer that knocks your socks off. I am experimenting, learning and trying to understand the different sugars etc...

I can't see how you could say this is a troll post (A post with no point), surely other members have done a batch like this, or understand sugars and what mix makes a good high alc drink.

I am set up to do lagers, I now have perfect temp control, and I brew at 18C.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If you just want to bump alcohol cheaply, get into all grain as the ingredients are cheaper and just start adding corn. Cheap, ****ty, adds alcohol.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #5
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 47

What ABV are you shooting for? How cheap do you want to go? The great thing about beer brewing is customizing to your own tastes.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
rhinofarts
Recipes 

Hi Kaconga,
I would like to get between 6 - 9 % ABV. But it's not even all about alc. volume, I want that stuff that twists your eyes backwards, Have to have a Malty taste, and I want to go really cheap!. Also wanted to note I just wanna soup up a kit, no all grain yet.

Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The cheapest way to add abv and not sacrifice taste too much is with invert sugar. One pound will raise your abv just shy of 1 percent for a 5 gallon batch. Don't go over 20% of your total fermentables by weight though.

A slightly more expensive method would be to add extra LME at the end of your boil. 1 pound yielding about .75% abv per 5 gallon batch. The advantage to this is that it won't thin out your beer. This is what I would do.
neosapien Likes This 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Search up a style of beer you would like to drink. But look at the imperial side of the style. Imperial IPA's are great. I have a recipe that abv about 8.2%

Old 04-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2920 Times on 2525 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

What's happening here is that you won't get good malt/hop flavor & 10%ABV or more & spend less than $40 or more. A $20 brew isn't going to get that high & taste worth a damn & tha same time.
And they wondered about trolling,because this is usually how such posts start. Trolls want nothing more than to start arguments & name calling.
Anyway,you can't get really good beer & a truckload of ABV & taste good too for little money. It dosen't work that way. You you usually need a lot of malt & hops to offset the firey bite of high ABV beers. And that doesn't come cheap,especially with extract brews.
But as was said,most of us brew for good flavor & aroma,not just decent tasting hooch that'll get you passing out after 1 or 2 glasses. High ABV beers,like 18% or more,are costly in terms of time invested & money.