Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > A question about Coriander in a porter and another question about yeast

Old 06-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
tired
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default A question about Coriander in a porter and another question about yeast

So, my gf is at work, and I am up way too early on a Sunday brewing. Right now, my Taddy Porter like beer is in the mash tun, and I just decided that I want to add some coriander to it. I was thinking of adding about a tablespoon of the crushed seeds to the boil. Is this too much? Too little? How long should I boil the seeds for?

And, now my yeast question...A friend ( I promise this is not me) called the other day and told me he left a tube of White Labs yeast out on his counter for 5 days in 70+degree weather. Do you think that his yeast can still activate or is too late for it? Should he make a starter or should he just toss it and head to the brew store and buy another tube?

Thanks,

tired

Old 06-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Don't know about the coriander.

The yeast will probably be fine. Definitely make a starter. You should be able to tell from that if the yeast is viable.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I would say that a tablespoon of corriander would be to much for a five gallon batch but about right for 10 gal. it is pretty potent. I just did a 5 gal saison and used about a teaspoon.

The yeast, if you have time make a starter and see if the yeast activates if they don't go grab another vial. if you don't have time for a starter Just get another one and put that one in the fridge till you have time to make a starter.

Cheers

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
tired
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips...

wop31: How long should I boil the coriander for?

Old 06-25-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
woosterhoot
Recipes 

i usually boil spices for the last tens minutes. a tablespoon is probably too much. I went crazy on a spice beer and now am of the opinion no more than a teaspoon of any spice. you can always drop more in secondary or when bottling if its not enough, but you can never take too much out.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 AM   #6
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I would put it in the last 10-15 minutes. Corriander in a porter should be interesting you should post the recipe and let us know how it comes out.

Cheers

Old 01-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
Stef1966
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I usually put about 4 tablespoon of coriander in a 5 gal batch when i brew something i want it in, usually it stands out, but not to the point that i think it's too much, but i usually enjoy spicy meals and stuff, so it might be too much for most people.

I think Coriander and Orange peels make a happy marriage as well.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

On a tasting note, I added about half a tablespoon of crushed coriander to an American stout whilst in the secondary, and many people enjoyed it. I didn't boil any, it was a whim that came on later, but the roasty ale and coriander really blended well.