Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Cooling your wort with ice

Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
RichPetersen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cooling your wort with ice

I realize this may not be the proper area for this discussion but I couldn't find a more appropriate area for it. I have, for the last several brews, used ice to cool my wort. And by that I don't mean an ice bath. I use approximately 12 pounds of ice to cool 3 gallons of wort (12 pounds is close to 2 gallons by weight) and then top off to make 5.5 gallons. I have yet to have a problem but everywhere I search I hear nothing but doom and gloom about contamination from "commercial" ice (from the local Quick-Mart/7-11 etc). I know a lot of guys think I've just been lucky and maybe I have but to be honest, this has worked really well for me. It cooled the wort down in a heartbeat from 200+ degrees to around 75-ish almost immediately and my beer has been great so far. So I just wanted to put this out there for others, using "commercial" grade ice has been no problem so far for me and has worked REALLY well. And a whole lot cheaper than a wort chiller, at least in the short term.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
TheGreatReverend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I tried this once but to skip the contamination part I get distilled water by the 2.5 gal jug and freeze it myself. A day before I brew I put it in the fridge and it usually has tiny little chunk left in the center (so the whole jug is around 0*C). If you don't have the time I've also brought it out of the freezer and put it on the counter to thaw. It usually has a much larger chunk of ice and I have to cut open the jug to get it all out.

I sanitize the jug before I freeze it with StarSan. My wort is chilled to 60*F in a couple minutes. It works great for me until I get a bigger kettle and a proper wort chiller.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I do the same thing only I am cheap I boil water add it to a sanitized 1 gallon orange juice jug that has been cleaned and soaked then sanitized add water and then freeze. when time come I sanitize jugs cut open and add to wort cools it very fast and haven't had any problems. I just visited the local Ice producer and they are actually do a really good job at sanitation. They use high quality filters reverse osmosis and then a UV light and the ice machine has a UV light. Heck I am willing to bet commercial ice is better than home made.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Oh and one more thing they use hot water to make ice so it is clear

Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
RichPetersen
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses. I've got some ice trays (large cubes) on order so I can freeze my own properly sterilized (boiled) water but until then I am just using commercial. It's good to know that the commercial ice makers are using fairly good sanitation procedures.