Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > S-33 or WB-06 for dunkelweizen

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
gregkeller
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default S-33 or WB-06 for dunkelweizen

Planning on brewing a dunkelweizen tomorrow or sunday, and i've got two yeasts I can use. I've got Safbrew S-33 and Safale wb-06. They seem kinda similar. I'm not crazy about huge amounts of esters, but some would be good, and it seems like i'll get that from both of these choices. This will be fermented in a basement that is currently holding 64 degrees, so i'd guess my fermentation temp will probably be in the 68 degree range. I've got a little control over it, i can wrap it in blankets to get a few more degrees, or put it directly on the cement floor to keep it closer to 64 degrees. Any and all help appreciated. Whoever makes the best argument for the yeast by pitching time tomorrow wins

Keg #1 - Oatmeal Stout
Keg #2 - Janet's Brown Lite
Keg #3 - Blonde ale w/ Huell melon hops
Fermenting: Berliner
On Deck- Saison, Big IIPA

Old 04-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #2
dbrewski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I have the S33 but have not used it, so I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. Just started drinking a dunkelweizen made with Wyeast 3068. Keeping it cooler kept the esters down, it is mild and delicious. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used WB-06 on a Dunkelweizen and hated it. Clovey, but in a weird way. For German Wheat Beer's, go liquid yeast.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 04-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Definitely not S-33 either - it's probably my least favorite dry yeast.

I agree with ghpeel - WLP 300, 351 or 380 is the only way to go (or their Wyeast equivalents) if you want a German Weizen.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
bighorn_brew
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I respectfully disagree with the opinion of having to use a liquid for hefeweizen. I used wb06 last fall and while it wasn't the best hefeweizen it was decent in regards to typical tastes. And on tap now I have a beer that I used s33 and while not intending it to be a " hefeweizen" tasting beer on first sip me and a buddy were surprised on just how hefeweizen like it was. I love hefeweizens, and while true for best hefeweizen like tastes you can't go wrong with a liquid culture, the dry yeasts do a good job. To the OP I would say either yeast, one or the other would be good with the slight edge given to the wb06.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
dlaramie08
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've used wb06 an have had great results. I've fermented at both upper 70s and low to mid 60s and could not taste a difference. They were the same beer despite the huge temperature difference, an all around delicious hefe.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #7
gregkeller
Recipes 

I ended up going with the wb-06. I am keeping it around 64 degrees, and i'll update with how it comes out. I'm not huge into the hefe's where the clove and banana are punch you in the face powerful. I'd like them to be a little more restrained, so hopefully with some of the flavors that come from the darker malts in a dunkelweizen along with the wb-o6 i'll get that. Who knows, at worst it will still be beer.
Keg #1 - Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
argodzilla
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkeller
I ended up going with the wb-06. I am keeping it around 64 degrees, and i'll update with how it comes out. I'm not huge into the hefe's where the clove and banana are punch you in the face powerful. I'd like them to be a little more restrained, so hopefully with some of the flavors that come from the darker malts in a dunkelweizen along with the wb-o6 i'll get that. Who knows, at worst it will still be beer.
So how did this turn out, oddly enough I seem to following in your footprints here. Pitched the same yeast, at the same temp on the same kind of beer.

I'd be interested in knowing.

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
gregkeller
Recipes 

I think it turned out close to style. I just realized that I don't love the style. I got a little more of the clove flavor than I did banana if I remember correctly.

Keg #1 - Oatmeal Stout