Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Kombucha & Fermented Tea Forum > Started fermenting a new batch. Is this mold?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
dbcoder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Started fermenting a new batch. Is this mold?

Do I need to start over?

There are two small scobys from when I used a smaller container. I am concerned about the darker spots

Any advice would be great!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
st_brewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm a biotech student and I can tell you mould or funghi come in many different shapes and colours, to play it safe I would skim the trouble colonies with about a 2mm buffer zone to be on the safe side

Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Are you using regular white sugar? Are you covering your container with a cloth or coffee filter paper? Was the water you added too warm?

I'm not sure what st brewer is talking about re: 2mm buffer

This is mold. It looks like a batch made with bad sugar, or the water was too hot to start off.

You can either grab a bottle of plain unpasteurized kombu from a health food store and start over, or you can try to pull out your socbys, rinse them under cool water. make a new brew medium, add oh i dunno... about 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar to it, an drop your rinsed socbys back in. I did the latter and everything worked fine. but grabbing a bottle of new kombo just might be easier

Old 04-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts

How long has it been fermenting? If it is close to when it is supposed to be done, I wouldn't worry about it. If you just started fermentation (i.e. lots of sugar, not much alcohol), I would worry more.

I had a batch during which I went on a ski trip, so I left it in the carboy for an extra week. Upon return, I found a massive fuzzy-like village on top of my beer (picture attached). Not wanting to *ever* throw away beer (especially an IPA), I decided to rack it to a keg (where I condition) and continue with the process.

The result is I drank tonight (and a bunch of other nights) a very nice LakeFront IPA. Yummy.

ThePonchoKid, what does Kombu do?
Click image for larger version

Name:	infection.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	59290  

Last n brews: (P=Primary) (K=Keg) (B=Keg->Bottle)
7/26: Flower Power(P) 6/13: Rolling Rock (K), 6/09: Yooper's Pale Ale (K), 5/27: Columbus IPA (K), 5/17: Victory Hop Devil (K), 5/15: Summit MO SMASH (K), 5/12: Sierra Nevada Celebration (K), 5/03: Schwartzbeir (B) 4/10: Birch Beer (Soda) (K), 3/31: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (B), 3/25: Belgian Ale (SWMBO slayer) (B), 3/21: mrbowenz English IPA (B), 3/17: Mirror Pond Ale (K), 3/17: Blue Moon's "Old Country Cousin" (B), 3/15: Sculpin IPA (B),

Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
ThePonchoKid, what does Kombu do?
Kombu - Kombucha,

This is a thread regarding Kombucha tea A fermented tea drink, typically using black/green tea and sugar with a yeast and bacteria culture. It comes out tasting a bit like a cider. It's rich in probiotics, b vitamins, it has anti-oxidant properties, boosts immune system, and even acts as a mild anti-depressant or mood enchancer/mood softener. Very easy to make, very cheap, very resilient to contamination and laziness

GT brand Kombucha is often a go to for making a starter batch of your own Kombucha tea:
Click image for larger version

Name:	lg_original_on.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	59293  

Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
buchababe90
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It doesn't look too good to me. The main indication, though, is whether its fuzzy or not. If its not fuzzy at all then its not mold.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
HollyGayle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It looked fuzzy to me and its green. I'd chuck the whole thing and begin again, with a new scoby.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
CHERYLinND
Recipes 

Certain molds are more powdery than fuzzy. The green color is a clue. There is only 1 known bacteria that produces a green pigment, and that is not what it looks like. Yeast does not produce that type of colony.

You might get lucky and not have a harmful effect from drinking mold-contaminated brew, but if it's producing a toxin, you could get sick. Pulling off the colony doesn't really help, as the spores are already there and there could be cells in the liquid as well.

I'd scrap it.