Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Post bleach water rinse: necessary?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
domdom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Post bleach water rinse: necessary?

For most of my sanitization (except for when I'm bottling, for which I use star-san to save time) I've been doing bleach water soaking. Basically soaking the items in bleach water (bucket fermenters, tubing, thermometers when cooling wort to pitch temp, etc) and then rising them in plain tap water. I also soak my bottles in bleach water/rinse with regular before using them to sanitize them and make it easier to pry the labels off.

I worry that using regular tap water to rinse poses a threat to contaminating the items, leading to no good infections. Could I just let these items air dry instead of the extra rinse step? If I do just air dry, has anyone had any issues with off flavors or stuff not fermenting properly?

I'm curious if it matters how strong the bleach to water ratio is. I haven't been precise in this area, usually just put enough bleach to cover most of the bottom of the bucket and then topping off with around 3-4 gallons of tap water.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
brockettbrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i always use 2 cups of bleach to 5 gallons of water. never had any problem. I always air dry my botttles and no problems.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Why do you not use star-san all the time?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 972 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 248

IMO, chlorine and beer do not mix well. Rinse it well, then sanitize with Starsan.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 AM   #5
insubordinateK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Star San - solves the problem.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
brew4allMI
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I have always used iodine and it has never given me a problem. No rinse and let air day.... There can be some residual fluid in the bottles from sanitizing nothing negative has occurred. It is water soluble..

Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
Token
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clann View Post
Why do you not use star-san all the time?
That was my thought.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Pilgarlic
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Bleach is cheap and effective. I use 1 tbsp per gallon, I don't rinse and I've never had a problem.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockettbrews View Post
i always use 2 cups of bleach to 5 gallons of water. never had any problem. I always air dry my botttles and no problems.
Wow, way too much IMO.

OP, if you use the bleach vineagar combination, it's a no rinse solution. I always let it air dry, though. Two Tablespoons bleach, then 2 of vineager in five gallons.

See this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/blea...tation-208417/

post #7
"I thought I remembered that Charlie Talley said one ounce of bleach and vinegar, so I went back to the podcast to check, and sure enough it is one ounce, not one tablespoon. One fluid ounce would be two tablespoons of bleach and two tablespoons of vinegar per five gallons of water."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 04-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 7

1 food grade bucket (they are white) and translucent lid from Home Depot is $7 total. While you are there grab a refillable spray bottle for another $2. Rinse bucket + bottle out well with clean tap water.

Make Starsan in bucket, fill spray bottle, put lid on bucket.

Starsan keeps for a VERY long time. It is not a submersion NRS it is a contact NRS meaning if your spray bottle can "mist it 1 or 2 times" it is sanitized. I literally sanitize 95% of everything with my spray bottle. I dip the pre-cleaned hoses/tubes and racking canes into the the bucket only because of the ease to do it that way.

I have had the same bottle of Starsan for over 2 years and am just running out now. @ 16.99 for a 32oz. bottle, the peace of mind I have is worth MUCH, MUCH more than the pennys you save using what could potentially taint and ruin your beer and equipment.

Would I use the above sanitizer in an emergency situation? yes. But no one knows how long that type of NRS keeps. I know that chlorine based sanitizers in the restaurant biz are good only for hours before they need replaced.