Thanks...Mom. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Thanks...Mom.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #21
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Lewisville, TX
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Another good way to clean a well-seasoned cast iron without water:

1.) Wipe it clean with a paper towel
2.) Use rock salt or sea salt as an abrasive to "scrub" any stuck bits off the pan . This also helps pick up remaining oil in the pan.

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 04-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #22
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2195 Times on 768 Posts

I've never thought of frying a hot dog, but I will now.

Sorry about your cast iron.

Register Now!

Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
mb82
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Charlottesville, Va
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyfeet View Post

Since then we moved to a home with a glass top stove, so I can't use my wonderful cast irons.
You can, just be very careful not to move it around a lot, make sure the bottom is really well seasoned and smooth( I actually took the sander to the bottom of mine to make it perfectly smooth, then seasoned the heck out of it)

I do it fairly often at my parents house, and they have a white glasstop. So it shows every imperfection. Mom does it also, not as often as I do. I would not suggest only cooking on cast iron on glasstops, but for things that go from stovetop to oven I would do it. Also don't put the hot cast iron back onto the stovetop, put it onto a trivet.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
Kittyfeet
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Lebanon, OR
Liked 46 Times on 30 Posts

Thanks mb82! I like the idea of using it from stove top to oven. Will need to try it sometime soon.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #25
captianoats
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Jasper IN
Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts

I had to buy SWMBO her own cast iron. Mine are ancient with a great season. My wife just doesn't understand you can't let these soak in water overnight every time you use it

After the second time I had to reseason she got her own pan. I don't care how often she screws it up as long as she leaves mine alone.

As far as using on flat cooktops, don't worry about it, just don't scoot them around or you may scratch.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #26
Slyko
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Roseville, CA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Dude................. time to man up!

She watched YOUR kids so YOU could earn some extra $$$ for YOUR hobby. She even fed YOUR kids.

And you're upset because YOUR pan was cleaned but not the way YOU like it? WTF?

Priorities man. Priorities. I know this is a man site, dedicated to a man's hobby, but YOU sound ridiculous. YOUR Man-Card has now been revoked.

How are YOU gonna get it back? Ripping me a new one is not how YOU are gonna do it.

Reason: Flame suit on!

BasementBrewmistress Likes This 
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Until I discovered the internet, I didnt know that there were so many people who never get irked by little things. Personally, now that I know I am one of a very few people who gets annoyed by things that arent matters of life and death, I am really feeling inferior. Here's my man card too, slyko, you can have it. You obviously want it.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
onthekeg
Recipes 

Feb 2009
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

There are always petty issues that people with nothing else to worry about complicate their lives with.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #29
Slyko
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Roseville, CA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Dude,

It's not for me. I don't hate. I'm not trying to dis you. As noted, this whole issue is rather petty.

Step back. This is an opportunity to learn.

It's OK. You've already seen it. Good for you. I'm out!

Reason: It's not my card. I have my card. I want YOU to have YOUR card. ;-)

Old 05-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3190 Times on 1885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Until I discovered the internet, I didnt know that there were so many people who never get irked by little things. Personally, now that I know I am one of a very few people who gets annoyed by things that arent matters of life and death, I am really feeling inferior. Here's my man card too, slyko, you can have it. You obviously want it.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Slyko Likes This