Thanks...Mom. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Thanks...Mom.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
FullDraw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2008
DuBoistown, PA
Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts

Dear Mother-in-law,

Thanks for watching the boys last night so that I could work my side job, the one that gives me the cash to pay for my hobbies. It's really nice to be able to do that sometimes.

I heard you fed the kids. Great. Three boys need to eat and hot dogs are always a winner. Glad you didn't use my brand new grill that I just put together last weekend. You're not good on the grill anyway, and honestly, I'm not ready to share it with anyone, including your daughter, and I know her intimately.

So, I see you didn't go boiled either. I grew up on hotdog soup, so that option would have been fine, but no, you fried them...in my cast iron.

When I came in and smelled the aroma, it actually got me a bit hungry, well done. Then I asked if you used soap on my precious iron. "Nope!" you quickly replied - at least she's learned one lesson. No one is allowed to use soap on my iron.

But then this morning, I'm going to whip up a few eggs for your daughter, she likes them "dippy". And I notice my pan. Kinda gray, like black and gray camo. Looks like you scrapped the snot out of it with either the spatula, tongs, or 80 grit to clean that sumbitch up last night. I do remember hearing you "hit it with some pam" when you were done. But the blackness that has taken me years to create, the number of pounds of bacon grease that have created that, that I have lovingly served to your grandsons, all scarred by one night of hot doggin.

I'll recover. That pan is older than me, we'll be fine. The kids loved their time with Grammy. I've got some hours under my belt so that next brewday can now happen.

Just please, stick to the teflon pan that your daughter uses. It's safer for both of us. Or just boil them next time.

Your oh so grateful Son-in-law.

drkaeppel Likes This 
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3459 Times on 3280 Posts

Why the fvck would you cook hot dogs in a cast iron pan!?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
gestyr
Just an earthbound misfit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Pencilvania
Liked 55 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Why the fvck would you cook hot dogs in a cast iron pan!?
I do it all the time but I cook up a bunch of bacon first to get a good layer of fat. It is almost like deep frying them.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
slomo

Recipes 

Jan 2009
sacramento, ca.
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

How do you get your iron clean if you do not use soap and water? I usually clean my iron with hot water and soap, I then dry it really well and bake on some EVOO. Is that wrong?
The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Liked 5343 Times on 5157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomo View Post
How do you get your iron clean if you do not use soap and water? I usually clean my iron with hot water and soap, I then dry it really well and bake on some EVOO. Is that wrong?
Yup.

I often feel like the dumbest person in the room here -JuanMoore

Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Wolfhound180

Recipes 

Aug 2011
Quantico, Virginia
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Never use soap on iron!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Liked 3459 Times on 3280 Posts

Quote:
How do you get your iron clean if you do not use soap and water?
You don't. Wipe out with hot water. put away.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
mb82
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Charlottesville, Va
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts

If something is really stuck on a stiff bristled brush is what you should use for cast iron, or if really bad some salt and aluminum foil.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3189 Times on 1884 Posts

Quote:
With a perfectly seasoned cast iron pan, water is usually enough. I also use a plastic dollar store putty knife if I need to "scrape" any hard bits off. Especially if you've deglazed the pan before hand.

I have a nearly 100 year old dutch oven that I use for nearly everything. That has such a perfect season on it that it is a snap to clean.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #10
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

May 2008
Watertown, CT
Liked 3754 Times on 3586 Posts

Ungrateful. Hide the pan next time or lay out the rules in a clearer manner.