Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bayou Classic Brew Kettle

Old 01-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
2ShortHairs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrahvon View Post
I purchased the 8-gallon one of these a few months back and am just getting to use it this weekend. I was putting it together and noticed that the spigot doesn't come with any o-rings. Was this the case for everyone else? If so, did you find that there was any leaking around the spigot? Debating if I should be pro-active and get some silicone o-rings for the spigot.

The spigot seemed fairly stiff to me trying it out, but I've been able to loosen up easily enough.

Also: I was somewhat excited to use both the bazooka filter and the false bottom, but the false bottom's legs make it very difficult to use both, somewhat disappointed with that, but there may be a work around.
You can make both the bazooka and the false bottom work if you tilt the false bottom in with the bazooka in between the legs towards the front and then gently pull up on the bazooka and thread it through the leg in the back and lower the false bottom down.

I just got an 8 gallon kettle but have not had the chance to use it yet. I am thinking of using it as a mash tun in a three pot 5 gallon system. Has anyone used one as a mash tun yet?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
tc33133
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have the 16 gallon set, and I've had problems with my false bottom letting grain through since 2nd or 3rd brew. This weekend's brew (probably #6 or #7) had a 27lb grain bill. One of the legs of the false bottom buckled and let a lot of grain through. First time I had to shovel out all my grain bill mid lauter. You might want to get an additional stand or something to support it for larger grain bills. Otherwise, I've been happy with the set and a 62qt BC stock pot I use for my BK.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #33
Ayrahvon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ShortHairs View Post
You can make both the bazooka and the false bottom work if you tilt the false bottom in with the bazooka in between the legs towards the front and then gently pull up on the bazooka and thread it through the leg in the back and lower the false bottom down.

I just got an 8 gallon kettle but have not had the chance to use it yet. I am thinking of using it as a mash tun in a three pot 5 gallon system. Has anyone used one as a mash tun yet?
I actually found that there is a very specific angle in which you can fit both in, it requires some attention, but I set it up before putting anything into the kettle and it worked well.

I bought this kettle to try out BIAB so I used it as a mash tun, but all the grain was in a bag as well during that process. The system worked wonderfully except that my water estimates were off for BIAB. Ended up with almost an extra gallon and a half of beer! I'm lucky I was going for a high gravity beer in the 1080 range and still managed to get a 1061 even with all that extra water in it.

The kettle itself worked perfectly during the process. I had no caramelization or burning of wort at the bottom of the kettle even with the false bottom in during boil.

My false bottom seems to be very durable, I doubt you could put enough grain into the 8-gallon version to have it buckle like the 16 tc3 has. Though with his warning I'm not sure I'd want to test it out!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 AM   #34
2ShortHairs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like a rough brew day tc did the beer turnout? I don't think I I'll have to worry about it collapsing though, with the 8 gallon I figured it would only hold 18 maybe 19 lbs of grain max.

I think I am going to brew a few BIAB's in the kettle while I'm slowly gathering parts for three pot stand. I dying to use it. Did you just knot the bag of grain and let it sit on the false bottom? How much grain have you been able to fit into the kettle Ayrahvon?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #35
tc33133
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ha, yeah wort turned out great, hit my pre & post boil numbers and its still chugging along. I just scooped it all in to a big grain bag I have, cleaned out the false bottom and MT, put the bag of grain on the false bottom and sparged as usual.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:17 PM   #36
2ShortHairs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Finally got to use my Bayou Classic 8 gallon brewing kettle for my first all grain batch ever. Brewed an IPA and it went really well, so I thought I would share some pics of the brew night.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0166.jpg
Views:	1750
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	97353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0177.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	97354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0191.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	97355   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0170.jpg
Views:	1252
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	97359  

Reason: add a picture
ercousin Likes This 
Old 02-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #37
Texastrooper
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just changed from my 15 gallon Sanke Keg which I used before to a 16 gallon Bayou classic since I was tired of having clogged spigots. Grain was always finding a way to get underneath the false bottom in the keg.
I am ok with the quality/price ratio of the Bayou Classic pots but the false bottom of the 16 gallon pot sits so high (3 inches above the bottom of the pot) that there are 3 gallons of unused space underneath the false bottom. This does not really leave enough volume above the false bottom for 5 gallon batches. I want to keep that kettle for larger 10 gallon batches but I need a smaller pot for my 5 gallon batches since I love to brew high gravity beers like IPAs. How much dead space do the 8 or 10 gallon Bayou Classic pots have underneath the false bottom?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #38
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I have an 8 gallon. The false bottom is 1.5 gallons above the bottom.

Reason: Corrected false bottom line to 1.5gal after checking the kettle

Old 02-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
CJBrewVT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

10 gallon is 2 gallons below false bottom and drains to 1 gallon.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #40
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I was incorrect above; the false bottom is at the 1.5 gallon mark. I am going to edit my post above to be correct.