Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will this be drinkable in time?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
WSB-MBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default Will this be drinkable in time?

On April 1 I brewed a Munich Helles which is in the fridge at around 40 degrees F. I'm hoping to be able to keg/carbonate/drink it by the 5th of May.

It spent 7 days in primary before going to the carboy on the 8th and has been at a constant 40-46 degree temp.

My reason for asking is because my friends will all be at a gathering on the 5th and I'd hoped to be able to share this batch with them, but if the Word of Reason says to wait, so be it. Just looking for some insight here.

Thanks guys

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

That's ridiculously fast for a lager, but taste it. Does it taste good? If its something you'd be proud to serve your friends, go for it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3023 Times on 2605 Posts
Likes Given: 2137

I've never brewed one,but I do know lagers take a while to go through the lagering phase. Amonth or two if I remember right.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 442 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 23

My last lager was in primary for 11 days (75% of the way to FG), two days for diacytal rest (to FG), then lagering in secondary at 36F. I had planned to lager it for 8 weeks, but after about 3 weeks, my beverage cooler got low on freon or something like that and now won't go lower than about 55F. So, I ended up bottling after 3 weeks lagering, and proceeded with about 2 weeks of bottle carb and conditioning.

My beer ended up showing MOST of the characteristics and flavor of a lager, but doesn't finish as crisp as I would like. It honestly tastes like a Michelob with a slight cream ale aftertaste.

That was with about a 48 day total process. You are talking about more like a 30 day process then force carbing, so I bet you get similar results to mine, but with more of that cream ale-ish aftertaste.

It's still a decent beer, it just isn't quite a lager. Yours is going to be still a decent beer, but not quite a Helles.
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
gr8shandini
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 43 Posts

Kegging and carbonating won't affect the lagering process, so I say keg it up and give it a taste. If it's not ready, just keep waiting.

Sadly, though, I do think this is going to be on the quick side. I'm just getting into lagers and I've found that you really do need to follow the "one week for each 10 points" rule of thumb. My last few have been drinkable early, but with noticeable flaws. Then somewhere around week 4 or 5 of lagering, it's like someone flipped a switch and it becomes good beer.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
WSB-MBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys. I'll give'er a taste after throwing down some CO2

Old 11-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
WSB-MBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just to follow up on this (in case anyone gains knowledge from it), the beer was definitely too young. It had a great taste but just lacked a whole lot of body. Since this attempted I've let my beers age properly - scheduled-events be damned!

neosapien Likes This