Originally Posted by satownsend
Any results from doing this? I'm planning a lambic and I am thinking about doing this. I biab on an electric stove, so I'm already about maxed out on the volume of wort I can boil.
I did something similair to this at the begining of december. I have it fermenting right now, and will post the results in a new thread once I have some more data.
Basically I used 57% belgian pils and 43% raw wheat berries.
I used a kind of modified cereal mash where all the wheat and 1# of the pils was mashed with at 122F water at a ratio of 2.5qt/lb. After mashing for 30 mins 1 gallon of the milky liquid was drawn off and boiled on the stove. Next the wheat mash was brought to a boil and cookd with constant stirring until the mash had an oatmeal like consistency.
This was then mashed in the main mash tun with the rest of the pils and more water at 122F for 20 mins. The mash was then raised using the burner to 162F for 1 hr. The mash was batch sparged using 195F water to collect about 9 gallons of pale yellow wort. This was boiled and the 1 gallon the milky wort was added about 10 minutes in along with 4oz of 2 year old cascade. The wort was boild down to 5.5gallons of beautiful yellow starchy wort with an og of 1.062 (shooting for 1.052
It is fermenting with my native bugs, so I wont know if it worked or not for a long time!
But yes I think a modified mash is an acceptable substitute