Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > No Nonsense Stout

Old 06-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #131
MoxieStarfire
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
I was reading through the thread and trying to do the recipe. The part about the oats has me confused...

Bought the GF Instant Oats, then put them in water before putting in the oven to roast. They turned into mostly a mess, like oatmeal. Should I have just roasted the instant version without soaking first, and only soaked the rolled oats that were not instant (if I got that kind)? There was a couple of comments about how to roast the oats and I'm just wondering if I did this part right.
I had this same problem and it seemed like such a mess I was convinced I did it wrong, but the wet roasted oats just took a really long time to roast but eventually they dried out and then got to the right color. I ended up deciding to do a larger batch so I dry roasted some oats too to make up the volume and that only took about 90 minutes. I did notice what others had mentioned that a little more of the burny, off flavors were present in the dry oats, but it didn't seem hugely significant to me.

Anyways, I guess my point is just keep going until the oats dry out and you can also experiment with some dry oats and see what you like better/what they each contribute.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #132
BroncoJoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieStarfire View Post

I had this same problem and it seemed like such a mess I was convinced I did it wrong, but the wet roasted oats just took a really long time to roast but eventually they dried out and then got to the right color. I ended up deciding to do a larger batch so I dry roasted some oats too to make up the volume and that only took about 90 minutes. I did notice what others had mentioned that a little more of the burny, off flavors were present in the dry oats, but it didn't seem hugely significant to me.

Anyways, I guess my point is just keep going until the oats dry out and you can also experiment with some dry oats and see what you like better/what they each contribute.
I definitely got it to dry out (2.5 hours in the oven) but it is no longer grains - its hardened oatmeal. The water soaked in and made paste and glued it all together. Hoping if I steep the results it will still work.

Are the grains suppose to become large chunks of solid oatmeal? Should I break them up as much as possible?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #133
BroncoJoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igliashon View Post

I went by color moreso than time; I roasted at about 350 for maybe two hours? But I started with wet oats, so they had to dry and then brown. But basically I roasted them until they were the color of milk chocolate. I don't know if long-and-low makes a difference vs. short-and-high, but since I'm not trying to protect any enzymes, I went for the shorter time. I also only let them waft for a week.
Igliashon - Did you start with wet rolled oats, or wet instant oats? My instant oats per the recipe were a mess.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #134
igliashon
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I don't remember, precisely...probably rolled if I soaked 'em, but it's been quite a while since I brewed that recipe and TBH I didn't keep the kind of notes I should have. I have done instant before, for those it's better to just give 'em a quick rinse rather than soak them.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #135
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I had exactly the same problem as you the first time around, the key for me was to take them out and give them a damn good stir every 10 minutes without fail. Took probably 2 and a half hours to brown them enough with the storing but they came out looking and tasting excellent.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #136
Mogie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safa View Post
I had exactly the same problem as you the first time around, the key for me was to take them out and give them a damn good stir every 10 minutes without fail. Took probably 2 and a half hours to brown them enough with the storing but they came out looking and tasting excellent.
Bingo. Don't let it soak. Wet the oats briefly spread evenly on a non-stick tray or foil or whatever and STIR constantly...like A LOT. It took me quite a while to figure out the temp in the oven and it took well over and hour to get a dark brownie color. If you have a fancy toaster oven u can switch to convection, adjust temp way down to dry etc. If you soak oats, especially rolled or instant, its going to turn to oatmeal.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #137
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

This recipe is bomb diggity. Great head retention. This pour is 30 minutes old and still holding a nice, tight foamy head.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1063797645.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	158921

Old 11-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #138
luke_d
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts

That lacing! And the dog approves.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #139
CavemanDom
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Here we go....

This is currently sitting in the tub with the ice water bath cooling.

I made a few alterations/mistakes...
First, a double batch.
I didn't roast the oats far enough. I ran out of time on roasting day.
I didn't weigh out my hops specifically... I have not yet purchased a kitchen scale.
When steeping the oatmeal, I didn't have a grain bag, so I steeped them in a smaller pot with the intention of straining... Which turned into me dropping the strainer and oats into my 5g boil pot... I fished most of it back out...
Despite being on low, the steep water snuck up to 180* but that probably doesn't make much difference considering the last mistake.

When the time comes to bottle this, I plan to set aside a gallon and add some cold brewed coffee (amt tbd) and let it secondary for a bit.

*crosses fingers* it's been a bad day, outside of brewing...

EDIT after chill at 75* OG is 1.058... Close.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #140
Safa
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Sorry to hear about the disaster day man, we've all been there.

Hope it turns out well, it's often seems like the screw ups ends up being the best!