Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starting to get bottle bombs. What should I do?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Tiredboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Starting to get bottle bombs. What should I do?

I've just had my second bottle bomb in the space of a few days and need some advice. Details below.

I'm brewing an orval clone (from the clone brews book). Its my third batch of homebrew. First two had no problems. Left this brew in primary for 7 days, then moved to secondary where it sat for 4 weeks. I didn't check FG has stabalised but it was slightly lower than expected and had sat for quite a while (OG 1.062, SG at transfer to secondary 1.018, FG 1.014). I bottled a week and a half ago (mainly into red strip stubby bottles as usual) using belgian candi sugar (I can't remember the quantity, will need to check the recipe tonight as I followed it exactly but have a feeling it was either 2/3 or 3/4 cup in a 5 gallon batch). All fermenting and bottle conditioning has been done in a freezer with temp control (68F for fermentation, 72F max for bottle conditioning). I checked the freezer on sunday (8 days into conditioning) and discovered a bottle had exploded. I cleaned everything out and left it again. I looked again this morning (10 days conditioning) and another has blown.

I'm concerned that I may be slowly going to lose all the beers as its meant to condition for another 2.5 weeks at least. I can see a couple of options but I'm not sure if they are worthwhile (crack the beers, let them degas slightly then recap, drop the temperature?). Any suggestions on what I should do?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
DaSocialGuy
Recipes 

I can only tell you to relieve some presure. Just pop the caps just enough so the presure escapes but not enough to lose the seal.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
ACarver
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It sounds like you might have caused more fermentation after you increased the temp from 68 for fermenting to 72 for conditioning. Must have just been enough sugars remaining and with the addition of priming sugar + increased temps = boom.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
insubordinateK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSocialGuy View Post
I can only tell you to relieve some presure. Just pop the caps just enough so the presure escapes but not enough to lose the seal.
If you lose pressure, you lose the seal...if going this route, I would just re-cap or you run the risk of drinking flat beer. This will alleviate pressure. Pop them off and re-cap one at a time.

....Especially if it's an orval clone. The Brett will keep consuming and producing.

Reason: add comment

Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
DaSocialGuy
Recipes 

I've never used that much sugar before or that kind. I've always used corn sugar and once I use carbonation drops in plastic bottles and there was some much carbanation that it was sick. Never again. Now I just use corn sugar and everything has been perfect.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
hillybilly
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

OK here's the plan take a couple of days off work and drink all that you can till all are gone or you are out of days off I figure couldn't take more than 2 days. A second plan is to remove the caps and recap that should solve the problem gloves and a face shield are mandatory.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 551 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Get safety glasses.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
MikeinCT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use 6 or 7 oz of corn sugar (dry measure) in 5 gallon batch. Seems good. Trick is to make sure you are completely finished fermenting.

Mike

Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
insubordinateK
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinCT View Post
I use 6 or 7 oz of corn sugar (dry measure) in 5 gallon batch. Seems good. Trick is to make sure you are completely finished fermenting.

Mike
It's an orval clone; they add brett at bottling which continues to ferment after bottling...the trick is to lower the amount of priming sugar when using this technique.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
Grinder12000
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That is a lot of priming sugar. I typically use 3 to 4 ounces. However I think there are other problems with fermentation not being finished at bottling. Get those puppies outside. Glass can fly 20 feet very very fast.

Doesn't Orval use corked bottles?

138 batches and counting

European IPA bottled, One Putt 12 IPA carbing. East Indian Porter on tap. Looking into a Saffon Beer