Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Rasp Cream Ale FAIL

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
WestCoastB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract - Rasp Cream Ale FAIL

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Kit
Yeast Starter: Kit
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: Kit
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: NA
Final Gravity: NA
IBU: NA
Boiling Time (Minutes): NA
Color: pink
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 6
Additional Fermentation: NA
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 15
Tasting Notes: Sour

Please tell me time is on my side here!
Took my first stab at making a Rasp Cream Ale, Used a kit for the cream ale.
Added to Primary 3lbs of raspberry . Used Frozen berrys boiled them then strained them. Cooled the water and also used that in my mix.

After transfering to seconday lots of Raspberry chunkies remained.
I bottled this batch yesterday and I had a little sample of it, and it tasted terrible. All I could taste was sour raspberry. Almost like a sour wine. No hint of beer at all.
I added my sugar and bottled it anyways. Someone please tell me that the flavor is going to change dramitally with a little time in the bottle!!! I dont want to have wasted a whole batch!

B

Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastB View Post
Please tell me time is on my side here!
Took my first stab at making a Rasp Cream Ale, Used a kit for the cream ale.
Added to Primary 3lbs of raspberry . Used Frozen berrys boiled them then strained them. Cooled the water and also used that in my mix.

After transfering to seconday lots of Raspberry chunkies remained.
I bottled this batch yesterday and I had a little sample of it, and it tasted terrible. All I could taste was sour raspberry. Almost like a sour wine. No hint of beer at all.
I added my sugar and bottled it anyways. Someone please tell me that the flavor is going to change dramitally with a little time in the bottle!!! I dont want to have wasted a whole batch!

B
It's likley not going to be good like you had hoped, over a few months time it will probly get slightly better and less tart. You shouldn't have boiled the rasberries, you should have just thrown the frozen rasberries into the secondary and racked on top and left for 2 weeks.